acrylic aquarium

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Andy M
Location 1: uk

acrylic aquarium

Post by Andy M »

i am planning to buy an acrylic aquarium in the near future and was wondering if they are worth the extra cost over glass!
aquarium size 96"x36"x24" please feel free to air your views on this issue!

cheers andy.
magnum4
Location 1: UK wirral
Interests: all things aquatic.

Post by magnum4 »

This would depend on what species of fish you are aiming to keep. Certain catfish have been known to scratch acrylic tanks.

Having said that they are alot easier to move around than glass and 17 times stronger...ect..ect. so i would deffinitly recommend it over glass.
Crazie.Eddie
Location 1: Illinois

Post by Crazie.Eddie »

It's best to go with acrylic with larger tanks, such as yours. Glass would be MUCH heavier of course.

Here's an article regarding a comparison of acryclic vs glass.
- Ed

125 Gallon (1*L018 Gold Nugget, 1*L204 Flash, 1*L260 Queen Arabesque, 5*Discus, 5*Angels, 5*Clown loaches, 8*Harlequin Rasboras, 3*Rainbowfishes, 5*Otocinclus, 7*Cories)
20 Gallon Long (2*L046 Zebras, 1*L183 Starlight Bristlenose, 10+* Cherry shrimp, 4*Otocinclus)
20 Gallon Long (20+* Cherry shrimp, 5*Amano shrimp, 2*Bamboo shrimp)
Andy M
Location 1: uk

Post by Andy M »

thanks for the replies i will save the extra and get an acrylic aquarium! :)
Stevetd
Location 1: Cardiff, Wales

Post by Stevetd »

Acrylic aquariums only really justify their price when 12mm glass would otherwise be required (for tanks taller than 24 inches) or when a curved tank (or siomething equally as fancy) is required.
Otherwise I would stick to glass. It's something which can be argued over forever - and there's a lot of info and comparisons on the internet.

Cheers

Steve

Return to “Tank Talk”