Need help with Bullheads

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from other parts of the world (North America, Europe and Australia). If you don't know where your catfish is from, post a query in the identification category.
Sassy76
Location 1: Illinois

Need help with Bullheads

Post by Sassy76 »

I caught two bullheads a year and a half ago with my bare hands at that time they were only about an inch long. Well what I want to know is there a way to tell the diffrence between male and female? One of mine is bigger than the other and they are both about 8-10 inches long. Another thing I feed them feeder goldfish about once a month or so. Is this ok or should I be feeding them something else and more often. I am new at this and I must be doing something right for them to last this long. Hopefully somebody can help me out!! I have a picture of both of them but can't get it on here cuz it isn't on the internet anywhere already so I guess I will have to go without putting them on the here!!
Fiskars the Whiskers
Location 1: Ketchikan, Alaska
Interests: Catfish, coffee, math, reading, the internet, frolicing, going for drives, anthropology, Terry Pratchett books

Post by Fiskars the Whiskers »

Hi! If you go to the "What is my catfish" section there is a sticky that Clothahump put up. He will very kindly host your pictures for you (he is hosting mine, as well) and that way you can link to them! :)
Line up!
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

You can usually sex bullheads by the presence of a genital papilla in the male. During breeding season, the male's cheek muscles will also expand.
As for food, it might be a better idea to stop using feeder goldfish. A cheaper and healthier (because you can introduce diseases and parasites with the feeders) alternative would be pelleted food (like shrimp pellets or Hikari carnivore pellets).
Sassy76

Post by Sassy76 »

they can really get parasites from the feeder fish?? Hmmm, well how often should i feed them though? I only feed them the live fish will they know what to do with pellets or something???
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

will they know what to do with pellets or something???
Sure. They'll eat them. Bullheads are not fussy eaters.
Sassy76

Post by Sassy76 »

Ok well maybe I will go tomorrow and get some pellets of some kind for them then. I have to go get my paycheck anyway. I just hope we have something there that I can get them
Eukai
Location 1: Long Island

Shrimp Pellets

Post by Eukai »

My bullhead (brown or black, keep switching my opinion on which one it is) loves shrimp pellets, tropical fish flakes, and gold fish flakes. (S)he seems to do fine on all three, though the shrimp pellets are never his sole diet.

I really want some more bullheads :D

Return to “Other Catfishes”