Multiple Panaque Cochliodon

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
DHarris
My cats species list: 69 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Los Angeles
Location 2: California

Multiple Panaque Cochliodon

Post by DHarris »

About a month ago I picked up a beautiful Panaque Cochliodon. I had a bit of concern from what I'd heard about their supposed aggression that it would fight with my other royals and various larger plecos.

I added the fish along with a lot more wood to my tank and fortunately have been issue free. Everyone seems to have picked out their territory and for the most part ignore each other.

Last week I popped into one of my LFS and they had a pair of Panaque Cochliodon priced VERY cheaply. Seeing both next to each other, there were enough differences to lead me to believe there was a male and a female. Going off what I was seeing, I believe the one I currently have is a female.

Went back to the shop to look again and their female is gone but the male is still there. On top of the already low price, they're offering me 30% off. I'm tempted...

Have seen videos of people keeping multiples together that look OK. I've also read a number of horror stories about what can happen when two Blue Eyes are put together.

I'm curious to hear if anyone here keeps or has kept more than one Panaque Cochliodon together and how it worked out. Thanks!
DHarris

Re: Multiple Panaque Cochliodon

Post by DHarris »

Nobody here has had more than one in the same tank and lived to tell about it?
smitty
My images: 3
My cats species list: 57 (i:18, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Yeadon, Pennyslvania USA
Location 2: Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
Interests: Aquariums/Bicycling/Cooking

Post by smitty »

I had 4 or 5 for a few years together in a 180 gallon tank and did nit have any problems.
150gal- No Plecos; 3 AC 110 P.Filters; 2 AC P.Heads; Eheim2217, 2260
180gal- Plecos (9): L001/L022 (1M), L023, L083/L165, L137, L190, Rhino (1M, 1F), Trinidad (2); 3 AC 110 P.Filters; 2 AC 110 P.Heads; Eheim 2217,2260; Fluval FX5
210gal- Plecos (5): L014 (2), L050; 4 AC P.Filters; 2AC P.Heads; Eheim 2250,2262; Fluval FX5;
DHarris

Post by DHarris »

Interesting.
How large were they and how was your tank set up?

I've heard so many conflicting stories on putting more than one together.

My ~10" tried to take my big l330's spot but was quickly put in its place with no harm done. Have some rescaped and added a lot more wood. There have been zero issues.

Really considering adding this new one as it's gorgeous and unbelievably cheap but am concerned because of a couple of horror stories I've read. So torn here!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”