what is the color of dark?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
b.reder
I've donated: $50.00!
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: San Diego
Location 2: Calif.

what is the color of dark?

Post by b.reder »

In my quest for a more friendly pleco tank, I have covered three sides of each tank with paper. Now comes the question. What colors do plecos perceive? I wish to darken the daylight hours. My lights have a blue setting as well as the full spectrum lighting. Do the plecos see this blue light at all? If so, do they see nighttime or just a dimming of the normal light? For me- I cannot see well with the blue light only.
-Barry
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:5)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Re: what is the color of dark?

Post by Shane »

Barry,
As far as I can tell they perceive all colors. I have a flashlight in the fishroom I can rotate between blue, green, and red lights. Plecos react to all of the colors. You do need some time everyday with full spectrum light. The main reason, assuming you have no live plants and are not trying to grow algae, is to be able to see that the tank and fish are healthy. For my tanks without plants, the lights come on from 6:00 pm until 9:00 pm which is the time period I normally feed and check each tank. They are then dark the other 21 hours a day. This pattern significantly cuts down on both electricity used and algae growth.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
b.reder

Post by b.reder »

Fantastic! That is the info I needed. I’ll go back to full spectrum and place floating plants to diffuse the light. Thanks again, Barry
thefredpit
My cats species list: 34 (i:20, k:3)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:1)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:7)
My Wishlist: 15
Spotted: 4
Location 2: United States

Post by thefredpit »

that's what I do I use frogbit and duckweed to diffuse the light
Jobro
My cats species list: 12 (i:7, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Germany
Location 2: Allgäu

Post by Jobro »

Frogbit is just so gorgeous! Makes for a neat setup with great atmosphere!

Also, pleco fry really like to eat it!
follow my Plecos on Instagram: welsgefluester
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:38)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2674)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

Jobro wrote: 11 Jan 2018, 18:34Frogbit is just so gorgeous! Makes for a neat setup with great atmosphere!
Except it's hell on your tank when you have an oversized wavemaker/powerhead and strong current. :-O :(( :-J

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Jobro
My cats species list: 12 (i:7, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Germany
Location 2: Allgäu

Post by Jobro »

Yeah :)) I think most plants will not be able to cope with that Eric :D
follow my Plecos on Instagram: welsgefluester
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Post by TwoTankAmin »

It took me years to eradicate duckweed from tanks. I never bought any nor asked for some free. I would suggest that the only effective eradication method requires the use of a flame thrower. At least frogbit is neat looking :) http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish ... 45-800.jpg

Try Bobitus in flow if you have neutral to slightly acidic water. It is a great plant to put near a filter output: http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/plan ... elotii.htm

For those members not yet in their "golden" years, an HMF is much less work than any other filter I have used. It is less work than a planted tank which almost always requires more time and effort than a non-planted tank. It is cheap to operate and very effective. I still have a few planted community tanks, but I am now much more concerned with reducing the work load than I used to be.
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
b.reder

Post by b.reder »

Excuse me! How do you define golden years?
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Well it depends on how you prefer to define them. I would base it on one's life expectancy. I am just a couple of months shy of hitting 70. According to the USA Census and Social Security Administration, I have 13.7 years left. That would be just over 16% of the average lifespan for a male my age. One could argue that the golden years are the last 1/4 to 1/3 of your expected life span. So I would suggest I am solidly in the golden zone. :character-oldtimer:
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
b.reder

Post by b.reder »

At 68.5, I am close to "Knocking on Heavens Door." Though I live a comfortable lifestyle, I have never stopped working and never stopped exploring. Plecos are but my latest manifestation of this. They are a whole new world for me and should occupy my time for several years. -Barry
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

It isn't the lack of will that is slowing me down. A better way to put it is to quote a line from "Old Folks Boogie" by Little Feat: "You know that you are over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill." https://youtu.be/cc5N5KRAZ-s

Another way to explain is that water has gained a lot of weight in the last 18 years.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”