Spawning Age for adolfoi cory?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
wiccandove
My cats species list: 1 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 1: Toronto
Location 2: canada

Spawning Age for adolfoi cory?

Post by wiccandove »

Hi All
I have 3 adolfoi cory I estimate to be about 6 - 8 months old (they were super small when I bought them). They are displaying mating behavior - dancing, T-pose, 2 have silver rings around the eyes- however I was told they are too young to be breeding. I haven't seen any eggs, however my tank is heavily planted and has lots of caves and hidey spots so if there are eggs somewhere its very possible I just don't know where they are.

Currently the tank they are in houses the 3 adolfoi, 24 half grown celestial danios and 3 stiphodon gobys. I'll be switching to a 40 gallon tank for them in a week or so. My question is, do you think the cory are old enough to breed? Would it be worth setting them up in a separate tank or should I wait until they are older/larger? I want to expand my group of corys but adolfois are hard to come by!
Thanks for any advice :)
corybreed
Expert
I've donated: $54.00!
My catfish: 8
My cats species list: 74 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Long Island, New York, USA
Location 2: Long Island

Re: Spawning Age for adolfoi cory?

Post by corybreed »

Hi,

From my experience Cory's can spawn as young as 11 months.

Mark
pleconut
I've donated: $35.00!
My cats species list: 35 (i:23, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:3)
My BLogs: 3 (i:4, p:154)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Bournemouth
Location 2: UK

Post by pleconut »

What size are they, my males are 2.5 cms total length. Females 3 cm total length. Not entirely sure of the age but I could check with my source. I have a larger group that spawned a couple of weeks ago. Laid around 40 eggs.i found they spawned on glass and plants in high areas of flow after a cool waterchange addition of Indian almond leaf extract I made 6 litres with boiling water added to a 250 litre tank. Then a thunderstorm here and they spawned for three days. I have a couple of wave makers that they seen to like. I also found they laid lots of eggs on artificial plants making eggs easy to remove.Eggs were placed in a tumbler with a few red cherry shrimp although they didn't fungus egg numbers were depleted so next time it will be less and smaller shrimp. Fry proved more difficult to raise one transferred to a breeder box didn't have any success. Again next time it will be a small tank with a sponge filter. Would obviously increase your chances if you could source some more. I think easier to obtain in UK.
Thanks Teresa
wiccandove
My cats species list: 1 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 1: Toronto
Location 2: canada

Post by wiccandove »

Thank you all for the info :)
I would say all three are smaller then 2 inches. I haven't seen any eggs yet, but I'll be keeping my eyes open :)
pleconut
I've donated: $35.00!
My cats species list: 35 (i:23, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:3)
My BLogs: 3 (i:4, p:154)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Bournemouth
Location 2: UK

Post by pleconut »

My group spawned again this week. The set up that I find really seems to work as did before, is by hanging artificial plants upside-down in very high areas of flow in the corners of the tank where the eggs are laid. Although some possibly wouldn't say it is necessary a significant increase in flow and cool WCS obviously really seems to be what does the trick. Wave makers powerheads ect. Again there was a thunderstorm here- then the next two days they spawned laying about 60 eggs-possibly more- as other fish were eating them. I have 4 females in the group 6 males (I think) fry have just started to hatch today . Now the hard part is raising them not had any success here just yet. :)
Thanks Teresa

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”