Cory Cat Dilemma

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Artemis
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Massachusetts

Cory Cat Dilemma

Post by Artemis »

I currently have 3 baby corys (cories?) in a 10 gallon tank with my betta. I have a long-finned bronze, a sterbai, and a panda. The tank temp is about 77*-79*F which I've read is too hot for a panda to be in long term but I've also read that they are adaptable and would be okay in something just a couple of degrees higher. Would it be best to return the panda and get another sterbai or will he be okay? I've been told that I should lower temps down closer to 75* and just get pandas except that temp is a bit low for domestic bettas that like water at about 78*. I've seen things saying the different species will mix fine, other places say that they won't and will separate from each other and waste away ~X( . What should I do?
Aquaticus
My cats species list: 7 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:1, p:38)
Location 1: Middleton, Wisconsin
Location 2: United States

Re: Cory Cat Dilemma

Post by Aquaticus »

Honestly, a couple of degrees isn't going to matter much. Your temps are fine for a community tank.
Artemis

Post by Artemis »

So the panda will be fine in something a bit higher or the betta can go lower? Also, as a side note, the sterbai is by far the most outgoing of the corys, is this normal for the species or is it just because it's the largest?
Artemis

Post by Artemis »

I think we'll be taking the panda back and get another sterbai instead.
MChambers
My cats species list: 26 (i:12, k:0)
My BLogs: 6 (i:0, p:76)
Spotted: 2
Location 2: Washington DC

Post by MChambers »

Good choice.
Artemis

Post by Artemis »

I got back with the new sterbai and acclimated and introduced her (still in cup) to the other corys while I removed the gravel, siphoned the gunk, and added in filter sand. Put in the fish and gave some bloodworms. The sterbai were very happy and it was entertaining to watch their barbels work in the sand and sucking them up. They have began hanging out together exploring since. The long-fin little one was quite confused about the bloodworms though.
Do corys like blackworms or earthworms? I'm going to try to get some blackworms this week but if not will earthworms be okay (I know not to get them from roads or in an area that has had fertilizers or pesticides), the long-fin came in directly from the wholesaler and didn't have time to fatten up in the store so he is much thinner than the sterbai and I'd like to get him healthier.
CarlDeller
My cats species list: 6 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
Location 2: Quebec,Canada

Post by CarlDeller »

Black worm they will love, earth worms are usually big so you'd have to cut them up so they they fit in there small mouth.... especially since yours are babies

Feed them daphnia too if you want
Artemis

Post by Artemis »

Alright. And next what is the best staple food? I'm feeding the Omega One Shrimp Pellets right now, I use the brand a lot and have good results but is it okay for corys or is there something else I should be using?
CarlDeller

Post by CarlDeller »

Artemis wrote:Alright. And next what is the best staple food? I'm feeding the Omega One Shrimp Pellets right now, I use the brand a lot and have good results but is it okay for corys or is there something else I should be using?
I use the same thing, most of my fish will fight for these pellets....thats how good they are.
Also i feed the "Sinking Wafers made By Hikari" And recently i'm trying "Sinking Carnivore Pellets By Hikari"
I also had bought "Nutrafin Max Bottom feeder sinking food tablets" but they don't really like these.

Hope this helped
Supercorygirl
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:1, p:124)
Location 2: Devon, AB, Canada

Post by Supercorygirl »

I've found the shrimp pellets a bit messy myself but they do love it. I feed mine a staple of hikari veggie flakes mixed with spirulina, NLS community pellets and if I'm fattening them up for breeding I feed frozen blood worms every other day as well. Just a few ideas for you good luck.
No good fish goes anywhere without a porpoise. - Lewis Carroll
CarlDeller

Post by CarlDeller »

Supercorygirl wrote:I've found the shrimp pellets a bit messy myself but they do love it. I feed mine a staple of hikari veggie flakes mixed with spirulina, NLS community pellets and if I'm fattening them up for breeding I feed frozen blood worms every other day as well. Just a few ideas for you good luck.
Frozen or Fresh live food do you only use bloodworms ? may i ask what types of cories you have ?
Supercorygirl
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:1, p:124)
Location 2: Devon, AB, Canada

Post by Supercorygirl »

Black schultzei, brochis Splendens, hastatus, skunk, kronei, sterbai, reticulated, green laser, Duplicareous, Melatonaeia, pygmy, habrosus, panda and 2 more species that were supposed to be CW049/051 but aren't. I use frozen blood worms/tubifex/mysis/brineshrimp/baby brine shrimp.
No good fish goes anywhere without a porpoise. - Lewis Carroll
Artemis

Post by Artemis »

Quick update:

So we were out today getting some mid-level fish and saw a full grown sterbai. Didn't put 2 and 2 together on how big they're going to get until now. We picked up 5 pygmy cories (they look like Corydoras Habrosus not C. Pygmaeus, is $2 a piece a good deal for that?) and will be taking the other 2 sterbai and long-fin back, trading to get some celestial pearl danios (we found 1 little guy all alone and picked him up until we can get more in the next couple of days so for now he's chilling with the Ember tetras). It will be sad, yes, but I know it will be much better for the fish this way. And that's what it's all about, right? :)

So for know, the pygmys are all chasing each other around and sitting along with bloodworms in the belly.

Sorry for being a bit jumbled, thunderstorms kept the dogs, and I, up from 3 to 7. (-|

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”