messing about with an 80G tank

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

messing about with an 80G tank

Post by sidguppy »

despite my Madagascar hobby I kinda missed the old concept of a (almost) pure catfish tank

I used to have those for ages but I went biotope into African riverines (catfish, barbs, cichlids, polypterids etc) some 17 years ago, then 11 years ago went Tanganyikan.
kept the Tanganyika cats and went Madagascar

now since the Malagasy cichlids takle ages to mature (I enjoy them a lot, still) I took the oppertunity to turn 1 of my smaller tanks into a catfish biotope.

it currently holds 2 different Parauchenipterus juveniles; 5" specimen, 1 is , the other one is unknown, it looks exactly the same but lacks the white edges on the fins.
4 Ancistrus spp (the Schildpatt version 1M 3F), 1 Isichthys henryi (weirdest fish I have in ages) and as of yesterday I am now the proud owner of Marc's 2

I also had a group of 5 Steatocranus irvinei in there, but they tore up my weird mormyrid. once I found out they harassed my wiener fish (it looks like a hot dog with fins! :shock: ) I removed them.

this will be a non cichlid set up. but I do know I need a tank upgrade if the fish grow! all are small for now, except the Rhino's wich are quite fat and about 6-7"
Valar Morghulis
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Re: messing about with an 80G tank

Post by Richard B »

Nice one Sid - i look forward to pics if they become available
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
sidguppy
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

my camera's busted and I HATE messing about with camera's

not in the least cause it's such a hassle

persons with camera's are welcome to tinker with them, though. as long as I don't have to :mrgreen:
Valar Morghulis
Jon
I've donated: $5.00!
My images: 22
Spotted: 16
Location 1: San Diego, CA

Post by Jon »

people don't keep enough bizarre doradids these days.
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

Jon wrote:people don't keep enough bizarre doradids these days.
Agreed - however there aren't a lot available beyond the 'norm'
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Post by Birger »

Isichthys henryi....definately an odd fish, for anyone wondering as I was http://www.fishbase.org/Photos/Pictures ... at=species
Birger
sidguppy

Post by sidguppy »

uhuh
it was a by catch between the by catches.

A small LFS near Rotterdam that specializes in weird fish had a bunch of Mormyrids imported and next to the Elephant nose fishes they ordered, they had as extra's a mix up of several Marcusenius and Petrocephalus.
the owner also told me of a highly unknown fish in there wich looked "like an eel".

since he also had juvenile Gymnarchus (a species far too large for regular hobbists) I feared it was just another Gymnarchus baby, until he lifted the PVC pipe this fish was hiding in

then I knew I would not leave with it. :mrgreen:

it's doing great actually. I've tried weird Mormyrids in the past and often they last a few weeks, a few months and then they turn into emaciated swimming skeletons and die.
this particular fish has almost doubled in length and is nicely rounded. it looks exactly like a very slim sausage with fins on..... :shock:

what REALLY surprised me, given the shape and the small mouth is that it's a highly effective piscivore, well capable of feeding on 1-1.5" fishes....it decimated an entire school of Poecilia's and even got a juvenile Paretroplus I'd mistakenly put in there thinking it would be safe.
Valar Morghulis

Return to “Tank Talk”