Mystus leucophasis

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Asia.
jscoggs27
I've donated: $130.00!
My images: 4
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: UK
Location 2: Stevenage, Herts, UK

Mystus leucophasis

Post by jscoggs27 »

Mystus leucophasis
How long could you expect one of these to live? My friend has one "the Rancor" thats about (we think) 20 something. Is that even possible? We cant remember if it was one of mine or not. If so, it would be about 23-24 years old! Blimey.
I wish I could remember where all my catfish went! I distinctly recall only losing 2 maybe 3, what the hell did I do with the others?
jason
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Re: Mystus leucophasis

Post by Richard B »

Although it's just a guesstimate on my part, i really wouldn't be surprised to see these reach 25 maybe more if well cared for.
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

I would not either. Jason are you sure you had this fish that long ago? It has only been about 10 years since they started turning up in the trade with any frequency. In the mid-90s this was a very expensive and rarely imported fish. I do not have a first import date (the animal is not included in any of the 5 Baensch books). I could dig through my old CAGB newsletters and try to pin down the first import to the UK. That was how I was able to find the first import of P. cochliodon (as P. suttonorum) but it is a time intensive process.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
andregurov
My cats species list: 11 (i:2, k:3)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 5
Location 1: future wetlands of America, Louisiana
Location 2: New Orleans, Louisiana

Post by andregurov »

If his first name is "The Rancor", is his last name "Monster"? Make certain he steers clear of Jedi masters. :D
"What did the Caspian Sea?" - Saki
jscoggs27
I've donated: $130.00!
My images: 4
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: UK
Location 2: Stevenage, Herts, UK

Post by jscoggs27 »

Yeah, not sure if it was one of mine or not, a lot of my fish did go to friends over the years which is why we thought it might have been, the rancor has had a about 3 different owners, probably. Its definitely old tho, and I did once have a knack of picking up oddballs in the most unlikely places. I once found an Ompok pabda in a pet shop, (cant remember where tho). My first catfish now resides in my bosses fathers tank, that pleco will probably outlive me, judging by my life style.
Ill try to get more info, but none of us can really remember, Maybe it came in as a contaminent.
He seems a happy chap tho, and very peacefull, about 11 inches nose to tail and quite friendly, doesnt ever eat his tank mates apparently, but sometimes likes to "organise" the clown loaches when they hang out in his bogwood shelter.
Thanks for the info, ill pass it on, lets hope he has many more years.
jason

p.s.
Shane, Please dont waste any of your time resarching on my behalf. I was really only posting to answer a friends curiosity. Like I said none of us really know how old it is.
thanks
jakesquid
Location 2: Portland, OR, USA

Post by jakesquid »

I've had one for about 6 years. I inherited him & a couple of tank mates from a couple who didn't want the tank any more. At the time they said it was 17 years old. It's about 12 inches, likes to stay inside its cave and doesn't bother any tank mates. So far I've had the 2 silver dollars and one neon he came with as well as 2 2-spot gouramis & numerous neons. It took me forever to identify the fish.
Michael Daniels
Location 2: Hopwood , Pennsylvania U.S.A.

Post by Michael Daniels »

Does anyone know the rate of growth of this fish.Mine is about 3 years old and at a good 8 inches...not counting tail of course.If she lives to 25 or more...mine will quite likely outlive me--though I hope not.

Return to “Asian Catfishes”