Bulldog/Rubbernose Pleco

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Crissytal
Location 1: North Carolina, USA

Bulldog/Rubbernose Pleco

Post by Crissytal »

Can anyone give me any information on these guys? Good information on them seems hard to come by. I've had mine for about a week. It's only about 2 1/2 inches long. I take it they are very shy and like it dark. I only catch him out when all the lights are out and I quickly turn on the main over head light. I'm yet to see him eat anything, and I'm a little worried. They will accept algae wafers or shrimp pellets right? When it becomes more use to its surrounds will I see it out and about more? He has made his home in my 55-gal tank under some piled slate like rocks. I'm considering getting another if I can't get an affordable albino bushy/bristlenose pleco. Would having 2 in the same tank be a bad idea or do they enjoy each other's company? Any info or personal experiences with these cute plecs is greatly appricated. Thanks.
Crystal
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Check the CoTM article on these fish. They need cool, well-oxygenated water.
Mine will take a wide variety of foods: algae wafers, sinking pellets, brine shrimp and bloodworms. It also ate cucumber, cantaloupe and zucchini with gusto.
However, they are territorial and tend to chase tankmates (no other harm done, though).
Crissytal
Location 1: North Carolina, USA

Post by Crissytal »

Thank you Silurus. How will they fair in higher temperatures? My tank stays around 80 to 82 degrees. The plec seems to be doing well. I still haven't see it eat anything though.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Mine tolerates elevated temps, especially during summer (but I don't know if it would thrive in the long-term under higher temps). I noticed that they can be quite shy during feeding. Mine would munch on an algae wafer and then scoot away when I get close to the tank.
Bigdan
Location 1: Greensboro, NC U.S.A.
Interests: CATFISH for sure,movies,music, and all types of freshwater aquaria

Post by Bigdan »

Hey Crissytal- I have these guys in two of my tanks. When I first got the one I have in my 29 I hardly ever saw him. This went on probably for a month. After a while I started to see him more and more. This morning he's on the front of the inside of my tank and the lights on. I've had this guy two and a half months now. He keeps the glass VERY clean. Don't worry, give your bulldog time, he'll get used to things. I think they are slow to acclimate. Good Luck-Bigdan :P :lol:
Cories Rule!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”