Sick Cory (pic included)

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Catch and Release
Location 1: Toronto, Canada

Sick Cory (pic included)

Post by Catch and Release »

Hello,

I have a sick leopard cory that I can't seem to figure out what is wrong with him. All my water parameters are fine (0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 10-20ppm nitrate) and the 5 other leopard corys in the tank are all unaffected (at least for now). He's eating well and acting pretty normal (a little more brave than the others believe it or not).

Does anyone have any idea what is wrong or have any idea on how to cure him? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Marc van Arc
Expert
My articles: 20
My images: 61
My catfish: 9
Spotted: 35
Location 2: Eindhoven, The Netherlands

Post by Marc van Arc »

Hello & welcome to PC.
Red spots usually indicate a bacterial infection. There are medicins to cure this/these diseases, but they differ between countries, so it's very important that you add your location to get the best help.
Catch and Release

Marc van Arc wrote:Hello & welcome to PC.
Red spots usually indicate a bacterial infection. There are medicins to cure this/these diseases, but they differ between countries, so it's very important that you add your location to get the best help.
Hi, thanks for the reply.

I live in Canada, just north of Toronto. I had Melafix in the tank not too long ago and noticed this ailment since the Melafix has been removed (or at least diluted through 50% weekly water changes).

Is there anything in particular that would have caused this?

Thanks again.
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: Bristol
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

Welcome to the site. :D

I live in Canada, just north of Toronto.

Could add that info to your profile (on the top right menu) so it appears in every post you make (hoping you make more posts than this one!) on the left hand side.

You'll see mine says Oxfordshire, UK.

:D
Catch and Release

racoll wrote:Welcome to the site. :D

I live in Canada, just north of Toronto.

Could add that info to your profile (on the top right menu) so it appears in every post you make (hoping you make more posts than this one!) on the left hand side.

You'll see mine says Oxfordshire, UK.

:D
Got it, thanks!
Marc van Arc
Expert
My articles: 20
My images: 61
My catfish: 9
Spotted: 35
Location 2: Eindhoven, The Netherlands

Post by Marc van Arc »

Catch and Release wrote: I had Melafix in the tank not too long ago and noticed this ailment since the Melafix has been removed (or at least diluted through 50% weekly water changes).
I do hope someone from Canada or another country will reply. Melafix is completely unknown overhere, so I can't help you any further....
rahendricks
Location 1: Washington, IL

Post by rahendricks »

I've used and had success with Melafix before. I've also used and had success with Maracyn and Maracyn-two. Melafix is a natural product, tea extract I believe, and the Maracyns are antibiotics. I don't know if these are available in Canada but I suspect they are. Your success will depend on how long this fish has been infected. Redness generally indicates the infection is internal so the medication has to be internalized to be effective. This may take time the fish doesn't have. At least the medication may prevent the other fish catching whatever this one has.
Catch and Release

rahendricks wrote:I've used and had success with Melafix before. I've also used and had success with Maracyn and Maracyn-two. Melafix is a natural product, tea extract I believe, and the Maracyns are antibiotics. I don't know if these are available in Canada but I suspect they are. Your success will depend on how long this fish has been infected. Redness generally indicates the infection is internal so the medication has to be internalized to be effective. This may take time the fish doesn't have. At least the medication may prevent the other fish catching whatever this one has.
Do you think some sort of salt dip could work?
rahendricks
Location 1: Washington, IL

Post by rahendricks »

I've always heard that salt is bad for cories so I've never tried.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Whilst salt has some antibacterial effect, it's much better against parasitic infections, which I don't believe yours is.

It's not hard to find an antibacterial treatment, almost every producer of fish-medication will have one. The trouble is that some are available in some countries, and others in other countries. I've been to Canada twice, but I didn't need to buy fish medication on either of the trips, so I didn't find out what's available. I would say, tho', that I've seen Maracyn recommended before, and I believe that's a good choice.

Bear in mind that Maracyn most likely will also kill the good bacteria in the filter (EVEN if the documentation that comes with it says otherwise), so if you have the ability to put the fish in a separate tank while treaing it, that'll be better. Also, plenty of water changes will help too.

--
Mats

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”