DELETED

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
DELETED
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)

Snails for s. petrecola

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

No. They probably won't eat them and you may have a snail population explosion in all your tanks that you will never ever be able to get rid of.

Dinyar
Graeme
Location 2: Newcastle, England

Post by Graeme »

I would also say No! Unless you keep snail eating fish like Loaches and Puffers.

Graeme.
Sid Guppy
Location 1: Brabant, the Netherlands
Interests: Catfish, Tanganyikan fish, Rock'n'roll, Fantasy

Post by Sid Guppy »

Ditto.
The only Syno I catched on snail eating is the true S polli, and the ones eaten were Ramshornsnails (Planorbis sp) and occasionally a pondsnail (Physa).
That tank was infested with Malaysian burrowers (Melanoides tuberculata) too, but they won't touch those, not even the tiny ones!

Once I thought the petricola's in the big tank ate snails, but I got 6 of them and 5 polli Zambia's in there and about a zillion snails (Ramshorns, Burrowers, Pondsnails etc) now.
Still waiting on Haplochromis ishmaeli to arrive (snailcrushing Victorian Hap)....
Plan B should not automatically be twice as much explosives as Plan A
DELETED
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
barbara
Location 1: Maine, USA
Interests: fish, cats, meditation

Post by barbara »

I mistakenly thought they would eat the snails and now I have MLS/MTS galore and they don't seem to eat the small ramshorns either...although possibly they do. What they DO appear to eat snail-wise is crushed ramshorns...I have them plentifully in all tanks and a couple of times a week take some that are crushable and put them in that way...they disappear, usually, within minutes.

Return to “African Catfishes”