syno id, sorry no pics

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
CATWITHOUTHAT
Location 1: minneapolis minnesota
Interests: cats and all other freshwater fish

syno id, sorry no pics

Post by CATWITHOUTHAT »

i currently have 3 synos 1 i am sure is a S.ocellifer, the other two have me curious...the smallest of the three is around 3" and has a mazelike stripe pattern on a lighter background, heavy markings and relatively close together...he was sold as a eupterus, but i am fairly sure that is noth the case...the last and more mysterious one was sold as a lace (as was the ocellifer if that gives you an idea as to where i bought them), his background is darker thatn the ocellifer and has more spots...however i noticed that he has what seems to be a whitish piping on the outer edges of all his fins...is this indicative of a lace or do i have something different...poss eupterus???? anyway the two larger fish both have to be around 8-9 inches and the usc (unidentified syno cat) is the larger but less often seen of the two

ben
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

What color is the smallest one? If it's gray, then it's likely to be eupterus.
And are the spots large (like in the ocellifer) on the other mystery syno?
Last edited by Silurus on 04 Apr 2003, 15:46, edited 1 time in total.
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

the smallest of the three is around 3" and has a mazelike stripe pattern on a lighter background, heavy markings and relatively close together
Consistent with S. eupterus.

Don't know about the rest. Take pictures and we may be able to help you better.

Dinyar
CATWITHOUTHAT

Post by CATWITHOUTHAT »

the small one is almost blakish lines with a darkish gray background...the mystery syno has smaller dots not like the ocellifer who has fewer and larger dots, the usc has smaller dotts more of them and is a much darker color except the creamy piping on the fins

ben
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

Does the small one look like this juvenile <i>S. eupterus</i>?
There are too many spotted synos to be able to identify the other one without a pic.
CATWITHOUTHAT

Post by CATWITHOUTHAT »

THATS THE LITTLE GUY!!...thanx all i guess the others that were being sold were not eupterus...lol...that is exactly the one silurus :thumbsup:

ben

ps ill try to find a pic of one that looks similar to the usc
CATWITHOUTHAT

Post by CATWITHOUTHAT »

well i just looked at all the pisc in the cat-e-log and i would say that the closest guess would be S. gobroni...however he does have a creamy edge to his fins sort of like acanthomias...either way i bought him as a juvenile for 7 dollars and i thought he was killed as i never saw him in my tank...but when i went to move i thought i had better check out one ornament that i knew could be a haven, and sure enough there he was, fat as ever prob due to the fact that he spent most of if not all of his time in there...anyway now i still seldo see him unless i sneak up on the tank with a subdued flashlight...but i know where he hides and believe me both he and the ocellifer love earthworms and they both look gorgeous as does the lil eup...but there is something majestic about them when they get so large...anyway i think gobroni fits the bill as far as his markings go so i think ill consider him such unless you have any other ideas...also was the price decent i paid the same for the ocellifer, im just curious, i bought them about a year ago

ben
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

<i>Synodontis gobroni</i> has a fairly long head that easily distinguishes it from many other synos. Does your syno have a head like that?
Also, does the spotting extend all the way to the belly, or only to the sides?
CATWITHOUTHAT

Post by CATWITHOUTHAT »

id have to check to be 100%, but i think the belly is unspotted, anyway the color of the gobroni and the spots seem to match, as far as the head thing, im no syno expert but i think it may be a little longer but not overly noticeable

ben
CATWITHOUTHAT

Post by CATWITHOUTHAT »

well i checked and the belly is spotted as well...does that help at all...i know, i know i need to get a camera :oops: ,,,thanx all

ben
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

FWIW, the belly of <i>S. gobroni</i> is spotted.

Return to “African Catfishes”