Bristlenose/Clown Pleco cross...?

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Guppylove1985
Location 1: Edmonton, AB

Bristlenose/Clown Pleco cross...?

Post by Guppylove1985 »

Hi Guys, I just recently bought a bristlenose pleco. I named his Francisco :) He is currently in the QT tank, and I gave him some algae covered river rocks to munch on from the main tank, and an algae tablet.

The reason I am posting is because he doesn't look like any other bristlenoses I have ever seen! Instead of having the spotted/speckled color pattern, he has the stripey look of a clown pleco, with little bristles.

I have some pictures, hopefully you can ID him for me :)

http://www.goldfishparadise.com/album/a ... G_0486.jpg
http://www.goldfishparadise.com/album/a ... G_0482.jpg

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by Guppylove1985 on 02 Jun 2005, 21:43, edited 2 times in total.
Caol_ila
My images: 53
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Post by Caol_ila »

Id say the fish is very stressed out...give him a cave and some wood to hide...and maybe add some sand/gravel instead of the blank bottom.
cheers
Christian
Guppylove1985

Post by Guppylove1985 »

The Q-tine tank is bare bottom for easy maintenance, I have no sand or other substrate that I could cover the bottom with :( I do have a dolphin polyresin cave like thing that he could hide in, tho. I will put that in for him right now. There is also an anubias plant in there that he likes to hide under. No light on the tank, the light in the pics is from the flash of the camera. The darkness (he is in a shady corner of the house) will help reduce his stress as well, right?
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

if you remove the castle and that awful gravel, but add a big piece of wood, some pottery or a nice 1-2" PVC-pipe, it'll do much better.

it's a female bristlenose of some kind.
Valar Morghulis
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 948
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:8, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 450
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

The fish doesn't look poorly to me if the tank is indeed in darkness, then this is a normal pattern for a common bristlenose. I'd also not like to bet my life on it being a female, those bristles might belong to a young male...

Jools
Guppylove1985

Post by Guppylove1985 »

if you remove the castle and that awful gravel, but add a big piece of wood, some pottery or a nice 1-2" PVC-pipe, it'll do much better.
Guys, it's a QUARANTINE tank :P It's ugly cuz it's made up of left over odds and ends that I had lying around lol The main tank is all natural looking, full of caves, plants, and river rocks, so fret not ;)

The fish doesn't look poorly to me if the tank is indeed in darkness, then this is a normal pattern for a common bristlenose. I'd also not like to bet my life on it being a female, those bristles might belong to a young male...

Jools
Thanks Jools, that's what I was wondering :) He is about 4 inches long, so do you think he can still classify as a young male? I am a catfish newbie :P Now goldfish, I can talk your ear off about goldfish... ;)
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Guppylove1985,
You will find there is a strong feeling around here (that I agree with) about building natural habitats. That said, you are new and folks could go a bit easier on you. Way to be a good sport about it and welcome to the site.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Guppylove1985

Post by Guppylove1985 »

Natural habitats do look a LOT better, I agree! I'm sure they are more soothing for the fish as well. I've actually just switched my 48 long tank from horrid neon plastic decor to the natural look of river rocks, plants, etc over the last 3 months :) It looks beautiful now.

Right now it's growing a nice crop of algae for Francisco to munch when he is out of QT.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

I can't see the pictures, but if the fish is 4" long, then I'd say it should have BIG bristles if it's a male. Females of that size may have small bristles, so I'd guess it's a female.

--
Mats
metallhd
Location 1: Edmonton Alberta Canada

Post by metallhd »

Welcome Guppylove! Hope you enjoy the forum, most everyone is friendly . . where did you get your fish? Have you talked to the store, even though that is not always helpful? I was also unable to see your pics . . .
The toil of all that be helps not the primal fault
it rains into the sea, and still the sea is salt
Guppylove1985

Post by Guppylove1985 »

Hello Metallhd, and thank you for the welcome :) I see we are from the same city!

I bought him from Big Al's on tuesday, he was the only one they had and was actually mixed in with some Rhino Plecs, unlabelled. A new employee had spotted him when they were doing their rounds of the store, getting accustomed with where the fish were.

I changed the images to links now, so hopefully you will be able to see the pics :)

Where do you usually buy your fish/supplies in Edmonton, metallhd?

Return to “What is my catfish?”