Jaw adductor hypertrophy & buccal expansion in Clariidae

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Jaw adductor hypertrophy & buccal expansion in Clariidae

Post by Silurus »

Van Wassenbergh, S, A Herrel, D Adriaens & P Aerts, 2004. Effects of jaw adductor hypertrophy on buccal expansions during feeding of air breathing catfishes (Teleostei, Clariidae). Zoomorphology 123: 81-93.

Abstract

Some species of Clariidae (air breathing catfishes) have extremely well developed (hypertrophied) jaw closing muscles that increase the maximal biting force of these species. As these enlarged jaw muscles tightly cover the suspensoria, which are firmly connected to the neurocranium, we expect diminished lateral expansions during suction for species with hypertrophied jaw muscles. In turn, this could imply a reduced suction performance for these species. Compared to Clarias gariepinus, which has relatively small jaw closers, Clariallabes longicauda shows a clear hypertrophy of the jaw adductors. A kinematic analysis of prey capture in these two species is presented here. As predicted, Clariallabes longicauda shows less lateral expansion (average abduction of the hyoids of 19.0°) than Clarias gariepinus (abduction of 31.1°). However, our data indicate that the decrease in lateral expansion capacity in the species with excessive adductor development is compensated for by a larger and faster ventral expansion of the buccal cavity by depression of the hyoid.

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”