Osteology and myology of Batrochoglanis

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Osteology and myology of Batrochoglanis

Post by Silurus »

Diogo, R, M Chardon, P Vandewalle, 2004. Osteology and myology of the cephalic region and pectoral girdle of Batrochoglanis raninus, with a discussion on the synapomorphies and phylogenetic relationships of the Pseudopimelodinae and Pimelodidae (Teleostei: Siluriformes). Animal Biology 54: 261-280.

The cephalic and pectoral girdle structures of the pseudopimelodin Batrochoglanis raninus are described and compared to those of a representative of another pseudopimelodin genera, namely Microglanis cottoides, as well as to several other pimelodid and non-pimelodid catfishes, as the foundation for a discussion on the synapomorphies and phylogenetic relationships of the Pseudopimelodinae. Our observations and comparisons pointed out two new, additional features that could represent potential Pseudopimelodinae synapomorphies: 1) mesethmoid markedly bifurcated anteriorly; 2) spoon-shaped autopalatine with a somewhat roundish, markedly enlarged dorsoventrally, posterior tip. In addition, our observations and comparisons indicate that the subfamilies Pseudopimelodinae, Pimelodinae and Heptapterinae do constitute a monophyletic assemblage, and, thus, contradict the commonly accepted idea that the family Pimelodidae is a polyphyletic group.

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”