Channel Cats

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from other parts of the world (North America, Europe and Australia). If you don't know where your catfish is from, post a query in the identification category.
FishmanDave
Location 1: pa

Channel Cats

Post by FishmanDave »

I currently have 2 channel cats (1 - 12" Albino / 1 - 9" Blue) in my 100 gallon garden pond. It is 18" deep. My question is : Will they survive the winter there or should I transfer them to my extra tank? I would prefer they stay there to save setting up another tank, but will if necessary. Thanks for any replies.

BTW - I'm in Western Pennsylvania, USA, and the pond usually freezes over at least 2" thick
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

If the pond doesn't completely freeze over, they should be fine. You might want to add a pump to keep the oxygen level in the water adequate.

See this thread.
FishmanDave
Location 1: pa

Post by FishmanDave »

I do keep a pump running for my goldfish - this is the first year the cats have been in the pond. I know they recommend 24"+ for koi and such. I was just wondering about the catfish.

Thank you, Dave
PlecoCrazy
I've donated: $25.00!
My cats species list: 42 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:1, p:92)
Location 1: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Location 2: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Interests: Fish, Fishing, Computers, Golf, Video Games

Post by PlecoCrazy »

I would recommend the 24+ but obviously that doesn't help you. I would think the catfish would be just about as tough as the goldfish as long as it doesn't freeze over. If you haven't done so yet you should also stop feeding your fish untill next spring, otherwise they will get gut rot.

Return to “Other Catfishes”