Growing Out Sterbai

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
jeffreyrichard

Growing Out Sterbai

Post by jeffreyrichard »

OK ... my batch of (easily over) 100 fry is growing quite well ... though I did notice several dead fry yesterday on the bottom of the tank. The fry are approaching 1 month old. They are in a 10 gallon bare-bottomed tank with 2 4inch cube sponge filters. I feed live baby brine shrimp twice a day.

QUESTIONS
1) Should I modify the diet to feed so fry pellets (I have some very fine Biokiowa which I've brought up discus on; also have some pellets from Angelsplus), or is BBS still ok for a while?
2) When should I think about moving the group to larger quarters? I was hoping to get some more size on them and then split them up amoung the other discus, angelfish and gourami tanks I have

Thanks
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

Firstly my questions.

1) Whats your location. Its no good if you are recomended something that you cannot get!
2) What size are the fry?

Answers.

1) I would add other foods, I don't know the foods you mention but I would use quality powdered flake and Crushed tablet foods, the addition of other live foods such as micro worm and sifted Daphnia would certainly benifit the fry. I also use liquidised earth worms soaked into powdered flake.

2) As long as partial water changes are made at least every other day I would say the fry should be OK where they are for another month. Personaly for the first 6-8 weeks I change 30-50% of the water in all my fry growing containers then move them into larger growing on tanks.

Ian

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”