GH, pH, & Ancistrus

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
sjogren1
Location 1: Pennsylvania, USA

GH, pH, & Ancistrus

Post by sjogren1 »

Will Ancistrus be OK in GH=18, pH=7.6? Or is there any other smallish algae-eater that would do better?
** Roger S. **
magnum4
Location 1: UK wirral
Interests: all things aquatic.

Post by magnum4 »

I would go to the local fish store, and ask them what they keep there ancistrus in. If they are already acclimatized to these conditions then your in with a decent chance.

Long term i would probably consider sofening a little, rainwater is a possible way of doing this.
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

Ancistrus that are tank raised would do just fine in harder water. Most of the "common" varieties that you'll find in your LFS, or the albino strains are going to be tank raised and will have no problem acclimating to water that's quite a bit harder than yours even. The pH at 7.6 won't stress them. I wouldn't worry. I raise fry by the hundreds in water that has a pH of 7.8 and a gH of 9 degrees, with a kH of 7. When I lived in KC, my ancistrus successfully spawned in water with a gH above 25 degrees, with a kH of 17 degrees! They really aren't that worried about it, as long as the quality is kept in good shape. You might check out http://www.frybabies.com, since they are also in PA and I purchase most of my catfish from them.

Barbie

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”