South American indoor Pond stocking

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Fishphibian
Location 1: Ontario Canada

South American indoor Pond stocking

Post by Fishphibian »

Hello there, I am new here, but was wondering if some of you could help me out with a project I am working on. I am going to be building an indoor pond in my basement in the spring, and I know its a bit early, but I like to reasearch the fish I buy as early as posible. I currently have 3 common plecos (liposarcus pardalis, I believe) in a "grow out" plastic bin, they will be in the pond. Because of them, I was thinking on making a Peru, or Brazil biotope, because I have found thats where my catfish originally come from. Although I have found the location of these fish, I do not know what kind of water they hail from, so finding talkmates has been a slight challenge. Besides the plecos, I was planning on an active catfish of some kind. So I was thinking either pictus, or hoplo cats would be nice if I could find them. I was also thinking a striped rapheal catfish would be nice, as they come from the same country as my common pleco. I would like as much information as any of you can give me, so I can plan the pond. I want it mainly to be a catfish pond, but I might be tempted to add cichlids, or other fish depending on the biotope. I am not sure I would want to make a "perfect" biotope, but I would like to be close. Sorry if this is a ramble, and sorry if this is in the wrong section, I have been looking at this site a while, and I think this is the right palce. Thanks in advance. :wink:
Fishphibian

Post by Fishphibian »

Alright, as it has been a while, mabey I should specify some questions. Does anyone just know the type of habitat liposarcus pardalis, striped rapheal catfish, hoplos, and pictus come from? Or mabey these fish tend to travel in different habitats, I have not been able to find this info online, or in books. This information will allow me to further my research, so that I can hopefully create a good home for the fish I am planning on, thanks again. :)
magnum4
Location 1: UK wirral
Interests: all things aquatic.

Post by magnum4 »

this is just a short list of peruvian fresh water fishes:

http://www.fishbase.org/Country/Country ... ryFishList
Fishphibian

Post by Fishphibian »

Thank you, I had found that list before but now I can bookmark it. It doesnt really help me on the habitat though, just the country. For instance, the hoplo cat is found in peru, but I still do not know if it is found in rivers, streams, ponds, or all bodies of water inland. Thanks again. :)
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Perhaps you should read this.
Fishphibian

Post by Fishphibian »

Thank you. Again, I have seen the page before, but it is always nice to be reminded. From looking through that, and trying to figure out fishbase's information, I have determined, that I should definatly have moderate water movement. I will probably make it based on a river of some sort, thank you very much. I shall continue my research.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

A biotope aquarium is usually planned with the kind of biotope wanted in mind, before determining the appropriate species of fish. In trying to determine the fish before biotope type, you are placing the cart before the horse.
magnum4
Location 1: UK wirral
Interests: all things aquatic.

Post by magnum4 »

http://www.scotcat.com/articles/article44.htm

Another peru fish list, just in better order.
Fishphibian

Post by Fishphibian »

Oh wow, thanks, that list is a little better, a little shorter, but a lot more organized. I guess people usually make biotope tanks in that order, but I have my 3 common plecos I have to care for, and sort of wanted ot make the pond based around their habitat, and add some extra, slightly more active fish from the same habitat to make the pond a little more interesting to watch. Thanks again. :)
PeacockBass
Location 1: the Net
Interests: Fish,Girls,Competition,Games

Post by PeacockBass »

if you want some help building a pond or with filtration i can help you out..

i have worked with indoor pond and i have a few my self.

here are a few pics.. i did not make this into a biotope.,.. just a mear growout.. but i can do either.

http://ImageEvent.com/neal/pondfish

Return to “Tank Talk”