Synodontis

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Cory21
Location 1: NW Ontario, Canada

Synodontis

Post by Cory21 »

Hello everyone, my names Cory, thought I join in this wonderful community and post a few questions.

At work we have a "Big-Spot Synodontis Catfish". Its silvery-grey, with three or four large black circles going down each of its sides. I don't have a picture, but I may be able to get one tomorrow if we haven't identified it by then. It's roughly 10 inches in length. I would just like to know the scientific name for this species so I can find out more information on it.
Last edited by Cory21 on 31 Jan 2004, 02:54, edited 1 time in total.
Thank you,
Cory
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Cory21

Post by Cory21 »

It resembles Synodontis Notatus, a larger indivdual. It's probably a foot in length , atleast 10inches anyways. Is 12inches as large as this species will get? Also, how aggressive are they? There is only the one, and its in with a 12" Albino Claria Catfish.
Thank you,
Cory
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

Is 12inches as large as this species will get?
Yup, that's about full size.
Also, how aggressive are they?
They may be slightly quarrelsome to conspecifics, but are fairly peaceful overall.
Cory21

Post by Cory21 »

I guess the question I should be asking is......

I have a 108gal tank. It's got a 3 inch sand bed, and the tank is 5ftx2ftx2ft. Right now its got live plants in it, which are being removed. I'm getting a larger tree root system (clean using high pressure water), which will have javaferns and anubias attached (already have the plants). Other tank inhabitants will include:

3 Discus
1 Angel Fish
2 African Butterfly's
1 Peterson's Elephantnose
1 Striped Raphael Catfish

Right now their are about 15 rainbowfish (larger ones) that will be removed. Corydoras will also be removed, along with several farlowella catfish. Would something like this be ok in this kind of setup? Or no? TIA.
Thank you,
Cory
Cory21

Post by Cory21 »

I should also add that the tank is filtered by two Fluval 304 Canisters.
Thank you,
Cory
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

Would something like this be ok in this kind of setup?
A little narrow, but yes.
Cory21

Post by Cory21 »

Thank you for you help! I guess I'll get him then! I think he's cool, and was hoping he would work with those fish. I didn't think he was aggressive, but just wanted to check with the experts first. :)
Thank you,
Cory
magnum4
Location 1: UK wirral
Interests: all things aquatic.

Post by magnum4 »

3 discus, 1 angel, 1 Peterson's Elephantnose
assuming the discus are not paired, all these fish would be alot happier in groups.
I have a 108gal tank. It's got a 3 inch sand bed,
Are you aware of the risk in terms of anerobic bacteria build up in deep sand beds? 1" is more than enough in most cases.
Cory21

Post by Cory21 »

magnum4 wrote:assuming the discus are not paired, all these fish would be alot happier in groups.
I was given the discus for a reasonable price from someone I know. They are medium-sized, and 2 that had been added in were picked on and removed. I had a group of angels (4), and they began picking on one another, tearing fins. I got rid of one at a time, the more aggressive one each time, and even tried with several others that I bought, no luck. I rearrange the tank, they are good for a day, then aggression. With the elephantnose, I live way the heck up in the north, and its practically impossible to get them. I had ordered 6 originally, and am still waiting on 5. I can get one more at the moment, but inless in a group, they show aggression towards other individuals.
I have a 108gal tank. It's got a 3 inch sand bed,
Are you aware of the risk in terms of anerobic bacteria build up in deep sand beds? 1" is more than enough in most cases.[/quote]

I was completely aware of this when I setup the tank. I used 100lbs of sand from a previous tank to get this one cycled. I will be removing a portion soon. For now I am using malaysian Trumpet snails to help with sand rotation, although I will be removing them.
Thank you,
Cory
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

:twisted:
For now I am using malaysian Trumpet snails to help with sand rotation, although I will be removing them
:twisted:

I'd like to see you try!!!
evil laughter echoing down the hall
If you DO succeed in exterminating those, without having to strip the tank and replace very grain of sand
please do tell!

there must be about a million fishkeepers out there -me being one of them who are clueless, safe for adding a Megalodoras uranoscopus or stripping down the tank.....
Valar Morghulis

Return to “What is my catfish?”