L24 in bare bottom tank?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
squid
Location 1: Philippines.
Interests: Tropical fish, internet, swimming, sleeping...

L24 in bare bottom tank?

Post by squid »

Will a L24 pleco be ok in barebottom tank without much decoration?
or is it really a necessity for them to have caves to hide in?
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Re: L24 in bare bottom tank?

Post by TwoTankAmin »

All plecos need a "safe" place to hide. While top males claim caves and defend them, the rest of the fish may use them on a temporary basis. Females who are not using caves and subordinate males may also hide under or in wood or other forms of shelter.

Imo, plecos need to be able to hide, even when there are no real threats. If they cannot retreat to "safety" they will be stressed. Stressed fish are more susceptible to disease and may not grow as expected. Further, they may not exhibit their usual behavior.

I say this not having kept any of the larger pleco species only the smaller ones. But all I have kept need to hide. The teeny guys like otos can make a cave/hiding place out of even the tiniest space or crevice. The bigger the pleco, the more specific that structure must be to work as a hiding and/or spawning place.

I keep my plecos in tanks that are bare, tanks with gravel and tanks with sand. No matter what is on the bottom of the tank, all of them have lots of caves and hiding places comprised of rocks and wood.
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
squid
Location 1: Philippines.
Interests: Tropical fish, internet, swimming, sleeping...

Re: L24 in bare bottom tank?

Post by squid »

thanks. I'll add a driftwood for him to hide under.
this tank i am transferring him to is a stingray tank, with only a small stingray.
i feel he might get more to eat here as the stingray is a messy eater.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”