L273 Red vs Gold

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
DHarris
My cats species list: 69 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Los Angeles
Location 2: California

L273 Red vs Gold

Post by DHarris »

After purchasing what I was told was a gold titanic, which was in very poor condition a couple of months ago I've been searching for a new specimen.
Lucked out this weekend and bought a stunning 7" titanic that's a gorgeous vibrant red color from head to tail.

I've always heard there were two varieties, gold and red. While I've definitely seen some that were more on the gold/yellow side and others red, I've never been sure if there are actually two types of if color just varies a bit from fish to fish.

Are there two species classified as L273 are the two colors a result of specimens from collection points or is it just a matter of random fish having different coloration?
DHarris

Re: L273 Red vs Gold

Post by DHarris »

He's a bit more settled and active so thought I'd post a pic. Now I just need to fatten him up.
IMG_4590 2.jpeg
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 948
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:8, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 450
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Although is an undescribed species, consensus is that the colouration is just intraspecific variation and maybe sexual dichromatism - not sure off the top of my head - but is has been documented elsewhere in the forum. Your fish looks very nice and will darken as it settles.

Cheers,

Jools
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: Bristol
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

If I remember rightly the population above the rapids at São Luis are prettier and command a higher price than those captured downstream from around Itaituba.
be4morgan
Location 1: Texas
Location 2: USA
Interests: Fish and Dog

Post by be4morgan »

DHarris wrote: 31 Dec 2018, 22:12 He's a bit more settled and active so thought I'd post a pic. Now I just need to fatten him up.
IMG_4590 2.jpeg
Nice photo, while he is well-behaved and enjoying some alone time.
This kinda reminds me of how hard it is to capture a photo of my Siamese. I can only capture a good photo when she is asleep in her heated cat bed.
DHarris

Post by DHarris »

Unfortunately I purchased this off of someone on a forum so I don't have any info as to collection point.

If anyone here has collection point specific specimens, it'd be great to put some sort of collection together to see what sort of identifiable variations exist.

Regarding the red vs gold, is there a way to tell beyond just simply the basic color? Seems the gold tend to have more black but I see images online listed randomly as one color or the other. I'd love to get a better idea of how to tell which is which.
Acanthicus
My articles: 5
My images: 91
My cats species list: 29 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 79
Location 1: Kiel
Location 2: Germany

Post by Acanthicus »

Jools wrote: 03 Jan 2019, 15:22 Although consensus is that the colouration is just intraspecific variation and maybe sexual dichromatism
Hi

I'd go for the first. Some years ago (2012-2013) we thought the gold ones would be the males, based on their behaviour, but whenever a gold one died (and sadly many did), they were full of eggs. And because the whole group passed away, we can tell that the red ones also carry eggs.
Daniel
DHarris

Post by DHarris »

Resurrecting this in hopes of getting a bit more input from the 273 experts here.

Was at a LFS over the weekend and came across this guy
IMG_5224.jpeg
The dealer told me it was a "gold". It's certainly a bit different looking than my current L273, which I assume is "red".
IMG_5566.jpeg
I really like the pattern and shape on this one but the color in person if very drab. Almost a greenish brown. The tail and dorsal fin appear to have orange to them but are also washed out. The fish is obviously stressed and not in a great environment but is this likely it for color or should it improve with better conditions?
I don't believe I'd seen a gold before in person. All of the reds I've seen have pretty intense spots of color that almost appear iridescent. Should golds be the same just with yellow instead of pink/orange?

I am considering adding it to my collection but I'm hopeful it's color will improve. While the price isn't terrible, it's enough that I'm hesitant to take a gamble on a fish that may just end up looking very bland.

As there's not a whole lot of info online regarding the colors on these, I'd again appreciate any and all thoughts.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”