A new species of Rineloricaria (Loricariidae) from the upper Vaupes River, Colombia

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
lfinley58
Expert
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 3
My images: 3
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Margate
Location 2: Florida USA
Interests: Catfishes (all), Aquarium History

A new species of Rineloricaria (Loricariidae) from the upper Vaupes River, Colombia

Post by lfinley58 »

Londoño-Burbano,A. & Urbano-Bonilla, A. 2018. A new species of Rineloricaria (Teleostei: Loricariidae) from the upper Vaupés River, Amazon River basin, Colombia. Ichthyological Exploration of Freshwaters/IEF-1071/ 10 pages. Online first.
Abstract:
A new species of the genus Rineloricaria is described from the upper Vaupés River, upper Amazon basin, in Colombia. The new species is distinguished from congeners by its coloration pattern composed of a dark dorsolateral stripe on both sides of the body; and dorsal, pectoral, pelvic, and anal fins each with a dark spot occupying almost the entire fin; an abdomen covered by irregular dark brown spots; few teeth on the premaxilla; and the number of lateral plate series. An identification key for species of Rineloricaria from the Colombian Amazon basin is presented.
Se describe una nueva especie del género Rineloricaria para cuenca alta del rio Vaupés, Amazonía colombiana. La nueva especie se diferencia de sus congéneres por: el patrón de coloración, compuesto por una banda longitudinal dorso lateral oscura en ambos lados del cuerpo, y aletas dorsal, pectoral, pélvica, y anal con una mancha oscura ocupando casi toda la aleta; un abdomen cubierto por manchas marrón oscuras irregulares, pocos dientes en el premaxilar, y número de hileras de placas en las series laterales. Se presenta una clave de identificación de las especies registradas para la cuenca del Amazonas en Colombia.

(The species name is not available in the currently available material).

https://pfeil-verlag.de/wp-content/uplo ... 71-www.pdf
lfinley58
Expert

Re: A new species of Rineloricaria (Loricariidae) from the upper Vaupes River, Colombia

Post by lfinley58 »

A quick follow up on the previous entry: The species name for the new Colombian Rineloricaria species is jurupari.

Lee
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 948
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:8, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 450
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Re: A new species of Rineloricaria (Loricariidae) from the upper Vaupes River, Colombia

Post by Jools »

lfinley58 wrote: 20 Sep 2018, 22:45 A quick follow up on the previous entry: The species name for the new Colombian Rineloricaria species is jurupari.
Thanks Lee, do you have a copy of this paper?

Cheers,

Jools
lfinley58
Expert

Post by lfinley58 »

Hi Jools,
Check your mail box (actually I know that you have a few)- paper was just sent out. The other (Hisonotus) will follow when it lands.
Lee
jeremybasch
My images: 14
Spotted: 5
Location 1: http://amazontropics.com
Location 2: Columbus OH USA
Interests: All catfish

Post by jeremybasch »

I wonder if this is the species we collected last year in Mitu, Colombia?
jeremybasch
My images: 14
Spotted: 5
Location 1: http://amazontropics.com
Location 2: Columbus OH USA
Interests: All catfish

Post by jeremybasch »

Looks like a sister species to R. lanceolata.

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”