Tatia sp. hatsudo or Centromochlus macracanthus?

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Renegade Aquatics
My cats species list: 6 (i:5, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
My Wishlist: 62
Spotted: 2
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Arlington, WA
Interests: Fish of course, but mostly catfish.

Tatia sp. hatsudo or Centromochlus macracanthus?

Post by Renegade Aquatics »

So I recently bought a catfish at my LFS sold as "Tatia sp. hatsudo" (they also said its supposedly from the Rio Nanay in Peru) which is a name I have not heard. So I am having a bit of trouble Identifying it, however when I was looking for possible matches I found that All Oddball Aquatics was selling a similar looking fish called Tatia sp. Peru. While not exact it was similar enough for me to take note. It was also brought to my attention that my fish could be but according to the clog aren't found in Peru. So I am very torn on what this fish is exactly, any help is greatly appreciated.
PS: The specs visible in my poor excuses of photos are from when I painted the background of my tank and nothing to be worried about
Attachments
fwcatfish1530303863.jpg
010.JPG
009.JPG
008.JPG
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:38)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2674)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: Tatia sp. hatsudo or Centromochlus macracanthus?

Post by bekateen »

Wow, neat looking fish. I've not seen any like it. If it's not a described species, there might not be much to go on unless it's been imported and reported in the past.

Good luck,
Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Renegade Aquatics

bekateen wrote: 06 Aug 2018, 06:38 Wow, neat looking fish. I've not seen any like it. If it's not a described species, there might not be much to go on unless it's been imported and reported in the past.

Good luck,
Eric
Thank you very much, like I said its very new one to me as well. I am hoping this thread will clear up whether or not its been imported before or if its like name I bought as suggest and its not a described species. Then I can really go ham on some notes about it and share them with everyone! Although even if it is a C. macracanthus, I'll probably still have fun jotting notes and what have you about it as they're also pretty rare as far as I know.
Martin S
I've donated: $20.00!
My images: 9
My cats species list: 90 (i:19, k:0)
Spotted: 17
Location 1: Guildford, Surrey
Location 2: UK
Interests: Aquatics

Post by Martin S »

I am sure I've seen Centromochlus macracanthus for sale, or photos/video recently, but can't find it. I have a feeling they are normally much more slender fish, yours don't look 'right' but with nothing to compare to, I really can't say. Hopefully @The.Dark.One will get a notification to check this post out as think he'll be able to help.
Either way, great looking fish!
Martin
Renegade Aquatics

So I reached out in a FB group for a quicker reply and Steve, was able to name the fish as sp. Peru
and thus case closed
bekateen

Post by bekateen »

Glad it's settled. Enjoy your fish.

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Renegade Aquatics

I have been, shes very interesting to watch while feeding. She pushes my T. musaicas around a bit for hiding spots (during this time they sound like an angry phone vibration) but they all get a long for the in the end.
Martin S

Post by Martin S »

Again, as per my PM re: Spinipterus, if you can get more, grab at least two, 1 male and 1 female to make a trio.
Renegade Aquatics

I actually planned on grabbing more of the sp. Peru however the shop I bought them from only had the one.
as for the Spinipterus, I definitely might be able to grab a trio however since it is online I don't they'll garentee gender but I can ask. One last question about the Spinipterus though the clog doesn't have a max size listed so I was curious on that as well. I could probably make a rough estimate from the pictures but I would to be sure.
Also since my tank is only a 40G (151L) that might be a limiting factor.
bekateen

Post by bekateen »

The WetSpot in Portland Oregon is selling something under the name Tatia sp. "Hastudo," currently $22 each. Hopefully the same fish, but you might ask for pics first to confirm. Not sure if you want to pay for shipping, but that's an option if you're willing.

Cheers, Eric
Renegade Aquatics

bekateen wrote: 08 Aug 2018, 23:01 The WetSpot in Portland Oregon is selling something under the name Tatia sp. "Hastudo," currently $22 each. Hopefully the same fish, but you might ask for pics first to confirm. Not sure if you want to pay for shipping, but that's an option if you're willing.

Cheers, Eric
Hmm, that sounds like a great idea actually. I'm actually message them over Facebook right now. I live rather close to them so shipping is not going to be too big a deal.
Martin S

Post by Martin S »

Renegade Aquatics wrote: 08 Aug 2018, 22:00 I actually planned on grabbing more of the sp. Peru however the shop I bought them from only had the one.
as for the Spinipterus, I definitely might be able to grab a trio however since it is online I don't they'll garentee gender but I can ask. One last question about the Spinipterus though the clog doesn't have a max size listed so I was curious on that as well. I could probably make a rough estimate from the pictures but I would to be sure.
Also since my tank is only a 40G (151L) that might be a limiting factor.
My remaining specimen is probably 1.5"TL, though that was probably the smallest. I think they will only get to 2, maybe 2.5" so you should be fine.
HTH
Martin
Renegade Aquatics

Martin S wrote: 09 Aug 2018, 08:20
My remaining specimen is probably 1.5"TL, though that was probably the smallest. I think they will only get to 2, maybe 2.5" so you should be fine.
HTH
Martin
Alrighty, you got it chief! Thank you very much for the info.

Return to “What is my catfish?”