HELP cant keep baby l134 alive

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
gehandylan
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Toronto
Location 2: Canada

Re: HELP cant keep baby l134 alive

Post by gehandylan »

Try using some IAL and a thin layer of sand in the fry box. I also don't feed my L134 fry for 2 days after the yolk sack is absorbed. Thereafter, I feed the Hikari First bites only for the first week.
Ron.H
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: England
Location 2: Kent

Post by Ron.H »

just need another spawn now, then i think more oxygen,driftwood and IAL if they end up in fry saver, maybe a little sand as well. if he holds them full term maybe put half in fry saver and let the rest take their chances in the tank. the tank has sand, wood, leaves, good circulation and is well established. judging by responses i think a little food maybe earlier might be the way to go also. thanks for all your help will keep you posted on developments. cheers ron.
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Somehow this reminds of that old issue which Barbie and her friend at the University solved for Ken when he was losing zebra fry the same way. It turned out to be oodinum and the treatment that cured it was ProformC. It took a lab grade microscope and scrapings to diagnose the problem. The adults seemed to have had a natural defense which the fry lacked.

Just a thought here with no real evidence to back it up based on the info in this thread except the fact the fry died the same way and nobody could see the cause.
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Ron.H

Post by Ron.H »

just a quick update. when i went to feed the pleco tanks late last night the male 134 had a female trapped in his cave. he normally gets them to spawn after about 24hrs, so hopefully more eggs soon and we try again. cheers ron.
Ron.H

Post by Ron.H »

Female had left Sunday morning, male was fanning hopefully some eggs. Today (Wednesday) found these two eggs outside cave.
Attachments
CA8CF108-D2AC-4567-82A2-985A95E11251.jpeg
stuby
I've donated: $25.00!
My images: 1
My cats species list: 1 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Big Rapids, MI.

Post by stuby »

Very nice... looks like they are ready to hatch. Wish you luck and hope all goes well!

Chuck
Ron.H

Post by Ron.H »

Three more evicted today, all hatched, as are yesterday’s two.
Attachments
61A9C20A-B1A9-4B59-8304-4BC7E2C6B3E7.jpeg
Ron.H

Post by Ron.H »

Out of the five evicted, only four have made it this far but all seem to be doing well. Putting these in breeder box today with small piece of wood, some leaves, snails and an air stone. This weekend will be two weeks since spawning so should be looking to feed around this time. Father still in his cave and fanning so when and if he releases some more should indicate they need to start feeding. Fingers crossed I get some survivors this time.
Attachments
3FA1EF89-8872-44BB-97D6-A1F4AD98B34F.jpeg
B05992B1-E079-4E8F-A21A-602297BE9979.jpeg
stuby

Post by stuby »

Fingers crosses Ron..... by the pictures they still have about a week before they need to feed. Just keep a eye on them and when you don't see any orange in the belly give them a couple days then start feeding... With the wood and the leaves they will feed on that and will be just fine anyways. If you take a small piece of wood and put it in a jar with tank water in a window to grow some algae that would be good too...…

Chuck
Ron.H

Post by Ron.H »

hi chuck, thanks for the reassurance. my only worry is having been here previously they dont survive for a couple days past using up there yolk sac. admittedly the wood and leaves should be a big help, but im hoping that the airstone will prove to have been the problem. thanks again. ron.
Ron.H

Post by Ron.H »

D976E62E-395F-4978-839C-A830AC7E3B7E.jpeg
Here’s two of three I’ve seen in the tank over the last two days. I’m fairly sure the male still has more to release, and the four in the breeder box are still alive and doing well. I’m fairly sure without all your input the four in the box would have died by now, and feel the biggest factor is adding an air stone. In the past I mistakenly believed the flow through the box was sufficient but obviously was not. Just like to thank everyone for their help, and hopefully I can go on and raise these and future spawns to maturity. Thanks again Ron.
stuby

Post by stuby »

Glad to hear they are doing good Ron! Keep up the good work!

Chuck
Ron.H

Post by Ron.H »

hi chuck,bit of a setback, found two dead babies in main tank this morning. also found two live ones which i placed in the breeder box, and they appear to still be alive as are the other four. as mentioned in an earlier post the main tank has a wavemaker and a return pump from matten filter giving lots of surface agitation, and the adults are obviously happy to spawn in these conditions. cant understand why this is not enough for the babies, but will add even more aeration going forward,as it seems to be working in the breeder box.cheers ron.
stuby

Post by stuby »

Sad news for sure! I don't think that it is a problem with low oxygen in the main tank. A couple things come to mind that it could be.... is the opening to the wave make big enough for the fry to git into it? Fry like to hang on the side of the tank when they first come out of the cave and may very well get into the wave maker if they can. Second thing that comes to mind is a spooked adult may have ran them over and killed them.

HTH
Chuck
Ron.H

Post by Ron.H »

hi chuck. they could possibly get in the wavemaker but the bodies didnt look damaged in any way. could well have been the adults, and like you i dont see the oxygen levels being a problem as the adults are thriving in there. on a positive note i have 6 healthy looking fry in the box, which is a big step forward. cheers ron.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”