Zebra oto deworming

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Axelrodi202
Location 1: NJ
Location 2: United States

Zebra oto deworming

Post by Axelrodi202 »

I recently got 4 zebra otos, from 2 different stores. They have been at the store at least a month (some of them have been there for two months). They're not super skinny but not super fat either. Given this I suspect they don't have any overly severe issues, but my default assumption is that these will have some sort of intestinal parasites.

What is the best protocol for deworming these?

For now I have them in their own 5 gallon tank where I can easily observe and feed them.
MarcW
I've donated: $152.00!
My images: 4
My cats species list: 46 (i:9, k:19)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:1)
My BLogs: 12 (i:16, p:575)
My Wishlist: 55
Spotted: 42
Location 1: Hampshire
Location 2: UK

Re: Zebra oto deworming

Post by MarcW »

Nice fish!

It could be a fish store diet which means they aren't fat, I often ask what's being fed in a fish store and the answer is often 'pleco wafers' or similar.

I would see if you can observe them eating for a few weeks, if they eat well, but don't appear to put on any weight they could well have worms or parasites. If that's the case I can only suggest Flubendazole, as it's the only anti parasitic / dewormer I have used. There is some information about how I have used it in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=45609

Good luck!
homerno1
My cats species list: 25 (i:11, k:2)
My BLogs: 3 (i:5, p:77)
Spotted: 16
Location 1: Horssen
Location 2: The Netherlands

Post by homerno1 »

Hi,

i have 4 Otocinclus Cocama (their official name if i am right). They are not to fat aswell. It is a bit a difficult fish to feed. These are the only otocinclus (as far as i know) that are omnivore with a tendency towards the carnifor side of things, were the other Otocinclus appear to be herbivore.

I never feed them any algea waffles or anything like that. I have had them for about a year now and have been doing great all the time. I prefer to feed Sera Viformo. A tablet which falls apart very finely if you pinch it. So i just pinch it above the watersurface. Then it descends all over the tank like very fine snow/mist. Especially on the leaves of my plants is were the Cocama's tend to eat. I used to have a group of Corydoras Habrosus in with them, so for them, it was a great way of being fed aswell, since they have to search for their food..

Hope this will help out and good luck on this beautyfull species!!
Axelrodi202
Location 1: NJ
Location 2: United States

Post by Axelrodi202 »

Very interesting. I didn't realize they are more omnivorous!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”