"Royal" Plec, Whiptail etc.

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
coelacanth
My articles: 1
My images: 2
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 32 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Bolton, UK
Location 2: UK
Interests: All things Aquatic

"Royal" Plec, Whiptail etc.

Post by coelacanth »

Someone asked me why the Royal Plec/Panaque is named so, and I had to say I didn't know, and hadn't thought about it, it's been that for ever so I'd just accepted it. Same with Royal Whiptail, not a name often used in the UK but seen in books. Was it just added by exporters (as "Real" I guess) to signify or increase demand/value?
I've seen it used for different forms of other fish in the trade, Apistos, Geophagus etc.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 946
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My aquaria list: 21 (i:13)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 448
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Re: "Royal" Plec, Whiptail etc.

Post by Jools »

An awesome piece of trivia for sure.

I've heard two stories on this. One is that it was a fad at the time when a lot of new marines were being imported stuff like regal tangs and so on. The other is that the Japanese market famously names fishes with common names that feature royal terms like king, queen, imperial and so on. It is simply a lift from that. This second idea seems more likely until you consider it would appear to stem back from the sixties - no internet. Indeed, the name may have come back from Japan to South America and then into Europe. That begins to sound a bit stretched.

The first mention of the name is in Sands CotW AFAIK?

Jools
coelacanth
My articles: 1
My images: 2
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 32 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Bolton, UK
Location 2: UK
Interests: All things Aquatic

Re: "Royal" Plec, Whiptail etc.

Post by coelacanth »

Anyone got any old import lists or shop adverts from the '60s/'70s, see if a chronology can be found?

Return to “Speak Easy”