compatible schooling fish to live with L-263

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
ClearSky57
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 3
Location 2: Mid-Atlantic, USA

compatible schooling fish to live with L-263

Post by ClearSky57 »

Anyone have any bright ideas for me.... I am thinking of adding "something" to my L-263 tank, maybe a schooling tetra or ?????
It's a 125, and while I don't mind the fact that I have some relatively nocturnal fish residing, it would be nice to add something that wouldn't interfere with my breeding project ... as stated, 125 gallon and temps 80-83 f. ph averages about 6.2-6.8
I figured a school of smaller tetras wouldn't be a problem, and low load on my bios......any thoughts??????
thanks
zeebo
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: CT, USA

Re: compatible schooling fish to live with L-263

Post by zeebo »

Hi, I keep rummy nose tetra in my L tank, but they are on the small size, but they always school in tight groups.Their red noses will tell you if your water is ok by dulling if there are certain problems. Diamond tetras school, but they also split up at times and can be bullies to other dither fish, the males get a pretty good size . They really are pretty in the tank, they glisten in my tank with black backround and substrate. A group of 8 or more of these is good. Just some ideas. I was trying to post a pic of the diamonds but can't get it to work, sorry. See what others suggest.

Georgie
ClearSky57
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 3
Location 2: Mid-Atlantic, USA

Post by ClearSky57 »

I like the Rummy nose idea... I have had such bad luck with them in the past though.... I will buy a dozen (or more) from LFS and inevitably, they drop off quickly....I may need to try a different source for them.
nvcichlids
My images: 6
My cats species list: 44 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 11 (i:8)
My BLogs: 6 (i:4, p:279)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: Milwaukee, WI
Location 2: Waimate, New Zealand

Post by nvcichlids »

I am currently working on re-doing my bar 125 gallon to being tetra and plecos only. Currently have Krobia sp Xingu and Blue Angelfish in there with them, but I just want the small schooling fish. My plan currently is:

16 marble hatchet fish
60 cardinal tetras
12 emperor tetras

+ my 10 plecos (5 x L271 and 4 x L92, 1 x LDA 72)

tanks is filtered by 2 Fluval FX5's and two 1300 gph wave makers.
What's your favorite Dressing~~
zeebo
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: CT, USA

Post by zeebo »

[quote="ClearSky57"]I like the Rummy nose idea... I have had such bad luck with them in the past though.... I will buy a dozen (or more) from LFS and inevitably, they drop off quickly....I may need to try a different source for them.[/quote\\

I purchased 7 rummys at one time and while in the q-tank, I noticed they had IP's so I treated for internal parasites and they have been in the 54g show tank for a year now. When I do wc's in that tank, I do 10% daily to keep the ph,temp and water close to what they are used to .I have a huge piece of wood in there and the ph will drop , hence the daily small wc's . Good luck with whatever you choose . Georgie

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”