MY L25 project

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
joefish72b
I've donated: $57.00!
My cats species list: 1 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:1)
Location 2: Florida, USA

MY L25 project

Post by joefish72b »

I found someone who had a group of L25 for sale. Of the 9 fish I got 8 made it through with no issues, one was lost a few days later. My groups are split by size 4" fish in one tank, 5+ inch fish in the other.

I currently have them split into two groups of 4 fish. One tank is 8.5 feet long and 300 gallons, the other is a 220 gallon. I have a 10.5 foot 200 gallon that will replace the 220 in a few months. I hope that with two long tanks I will be able accommodate two pairs and if I'm very lucky an extra female for each tank.

So far they have been doing well, both tanks have driftwood that gets a lot of use from the plecos. They seem to hide in the driftwood during the bright daylight hours, evenings they will come out but still dart away when I get close to the tank. Feeding times are going well and depending on the day some will come out at the first sign of food, sometimes they only come out at night.

I'm offering a mixed diet of zucchini, commercial bottom feeder food, and raw shrimp or white fish. I am thinking about getting frozen freshwater smelt to replace the shrimp and whitefish since the smelt should be closer to what they might find in the natural habitat. All foods are accepted and all but one fish has shown excellent signs of weight gain, the other is kind of skinny but has been that way since I got them two months ago. I'm thinking about isolating that fish for more monitoring to be sure it feeds properly, and maybe if need, a treatment for parasites.

I'll try to post some pics and also updates as things progress.
Elwood
My cats species list: 18 (i:6, k:0)
My BLogs: 7 (i:4, p:119)
Spotted: 3
Location 2: Milano, Italy

Re: MY L25 project

Post by Elwood »

Good luck for your project, the fish in the pic looks young so maybe you have to wait a little.
Linus_Cello
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Washington DC

Post by Linus_Cello »

Good luck and keep us posted!
I find it interesting that your psuedas like zuchinni. My L114 and L600 don't touch it, but they do love NLS Thera A+ pellets (the come out for them; you might want to try it, especially for the sick one as the garlic supposedly is an appetite stimulant, and maybe helps with parasite issues); otherwise I feed them xtreme scraper wafers.
joefish72b
I've donated: $57.00!
My cats species list: 1 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:1)
Location 2: Florida, USA

Post by joefish72b »

Linus_Cello wrote:Good luck and keep us posted!
I feed them xtreme scraper wafers.
Yes I was surprised to see them devour the zucchini I do have a rhino pleco in the tank and maybe they picked up the idea from that fish. I am using the xtreme wafers so I'm glad to hear someone else has had success with them. I will try the pellets you suggest, thank you for the tip and I'll be sure to let you know if it helped.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”