P. Maccus biotope stocking question

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
thijs
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Wageningen, Netherlands

P. Maccus biotope stocking question

Post by thijs »

Hi all,

I have a 200 litre P. maccus biotope stuffed full with wood and some floating plants. There is a decent flow (1100 L/h).
The fish are:
5 P. maccus ( 1oldie 7,5 cm and 4 younsters of 4,5/5 cm)
4 Carnegiella marthae (once 15, until I forgot to clean the filter)
10 Nannostomus eques
7 Apistogramma hongsloi (3 adults and 4 young)

The apisto's are not wild form. So I decided to give them away.

And now the first question: What would be a nice species (Llanos, driftwood area) to replace the Apisto's. I consider Apistogramma macmasteri and Biotodoma Wavrini, but some non-cichlid could be nice as well. Has anybody a good suggestion?

The second questions: Can I add some Carnegiella marthae and perhaps some Cory's without overstocking the aquarium?

Thanks in advance,
Thijs
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Re: P. Maccus biotope stocking question

Post by Shane »

Your two biotopically correct small cichlid choices would be rams or the macmasteri.

Sticking with catfishes you would have huge choices from small auchenipetrids (Entomocorus, Centromochlus, etc), loricariids (Rineloricaria, ottos, Hypoptopoma, and others), banjo cats, and llanos corys.

Non catfishes opens llanos tetra spp, llanos killies, and of course wild type guppies.

I would suggest Machado-Allison's (1993) Los Peces de Los Llanos de Venezuela: Un Ensayo Sobre su Historia Natural (scientific but with good habitat info and spp listings)

Uribe, Garces, and Salazar (1996) Peces del Llano (focuses on Colombia, photo heavy)

Also Benigno Roman's many books to include Peces de Aqua Dulce de Veneuela (Vols I and II), Peces Ornamentales de Venezuela, and Peces de Los Llanos de Venezuela Vols I-III (Vol II covers catfishes).

-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
thijs

Post by thijs »

Thanks Shane,

Do rams and the apisto's also occur in the driftwood tangles? Because I recently installed a bigger filter, and the Nannostomus do not seem to enjoy the extra flow. I guess they normally inhabit pools and small streams in the Llanos, and not the rivers.

The books look cool, I will take a look if I can get the picture-heavy one, since my spanish is not so good...

Thijs
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

Do rams and the apisto's also occur in the driftwood tangles?
I never found any in driftwood tangles, but you will find them in the same body of water. Depending on the area and season the rams and apistos will either be near aquatic plants or leaf litter. That said it may only be a meter or two between where you catch an apisto and where you catch a Panaque.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
thijs

Post by thijs »

Sweet, food for thought. I hope to post pictures of the tank soon...
Thanks a lot!
thijs

Post by thijs »

Hmmm, soon took me 2 years...
20120723_211910.jpg
Some fish came and went, but at the moment the stocking is as follows:
5 Panaque maccus (possibly 1 or 2 are other maccus-like L)
2 Lasiancistrus L92(?)
8 Nannostomus eques
7 Corydoras aeneus
1 Abramites hypselonotus

I know that the Abramites actualy needs a bigger tank, but i really likes his behaviour and he does seem to be doing well.
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

Congrats. It looks great.
-Shane

Return to “Tank Talk”