Albino C. pygmeus

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
gillsy
Location 2: Sydney

Albino C. pygmeus

Post by gillsy »

Hi All,

I am not an avid keeper of catfish, however I bought a school of C. pygmeus the other day and have found one of them to be albino. I can't find any record of albino C. pygmeus. I'm wondering if it's rare or even uncommon.

I'm currently in Australia so our diversity of fish is limited (due to strict quarantine laws). I don't breed fish generally unless it's naturally in the tank, I have them more for the enjoyment of the tanks.

I dont' want it to go to waste if it is rare and I will find someone who can take advantage of its rarity.

Thanks
Attachments
photo.JPG
Sweety
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Northumberland, UK

Re: Albino C. pygmeus

Post by Sweety »

I'm not sure if it's rare but i've never seen one before & do like the look of it
gillsy
Location 2: Sydney

Post by gillsy »

The only thing I notice about it, is it's either not as social as the others or it's a little outcast as it's not in the school of often as the others.

Either way I know have it going to a breeder, which should take advantage of it.
catmandave
Spotted: 1
Location 2: youngstown ohio usa

Post by catmandave »

Probably a social outcast because in the wild albinos tend to be easy pickings for predators.
Mike_Noren
I've donated: $30.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 37
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Sweden
Location 2: Sweden

Post by Mike_Noren »

It's interesting to see how differently people view hereditary defects like albinism. I would have culled that fish; it would never even have occurred to me that it might be worth preserving.
gillsy wrote:The only thing I notice about it, is it's either not as social as the others or it's a little outcast as it's not in the school of often as the others.
It may have poor eyesight because of the lack of pigment, and have a hard time seeing the other members of the school.
-- Disclaimer: All I write is strictly my personal and frequently uninformed opinion, I do not speak for the Swedish Museum of Natural History or FishBase! --

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”