Cory ID

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Hmoobthor
My cats species list: 1 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: WI

Cory ID

Post by Hmoobthor »

hopefully someone can help me id if they are C. pulcher in a different color/pattern.

Sold to me as C. Pulcher varient 3. I know there are a few varient of this speices and they are look different.
You can/can't see the white dorsol fin but its there.
They are pretty active and pretty large ..double or triple the size of my panda cory.

Birger Amundsen
I've donated: $380.00!
My images: 70
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 98 (i:25, k:0)
Spotted: 42
Location 1: Bamble,Norway
Location 2: Norway

Re: Cory ID

Post by Birger Amundsen »

Looks like pulcher and CW28?
Best Regards Birger
Hmoobthor

Post by Hmoobthor »

Birger Amundsen wrote:Looks like pulcher and CW28?
all i know is that they are c. pulcher varient 3.

They do look like CW028 which I belive state in coryrus site as Corydoras sp. cf pulcher aka Super Schwartzi.

Mine has three bar stripe across the body while the "super schwartzi" has two.
kim m
My cats species list: 49 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Denmark
Interests: Pike and Carpfishing, Aquariums (mainly corys)

Post by kim m »

To me they look like .

[Mod edit: Add clog-tags for easy reference --Mats]
Best regards,
Kim M
-----------
Catfish Study Group
Guardians of Catfish
Skive Akvarieforening
Hmoobthor

Post by Hmoobthor »

kim m wrote:To me they look like .

[Mod edit: Add clog-tags for easy reference --Mats]
i don't know..to me most of the reply seem to look alike

Maybe I will update this post later down the road.

I was able to gather a bit of info:

"An unusual and attractive Corydora, typical Corydora in shape but with an elongated dorsal fin. The body is pale cream with very little dark spotting and darker colouration around the head. With three dark lateral lines, one along the spine, one along the lateral line and one just above the belly. The caudal fin has dark bands."

1. Has Dark Spotting = YES
2. Three dark lateral line = YES
3. Caudal fin = YES

So that means one answer...if anyone has other info into this ..please post
Coryologist
I've donated: $200.00!
My images: 11
My cats species list: 70 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 5
Location 1: Laurel Lake, NJ
Location 2: Laurel Lake, NJ
Interests: Fancy Guppies, Cory Cats, Digital Photography, DV, Triumph Motorcycles

Post by Coryologist »

Having recently imported 200 of these, I can tell you that in my box, there are at least three different species and possibly four. It's not simply a matter of great variability as there are marked differences between the specimens. I would not hazard a guess on any of them, until they have fully acclimated and colored-up. That being said, I doubt that on initial observation that I would call any of them C. pulcher, regardless of the "variant."

Additionally, I imported a box of C. pulcher at the same time. There is no comparison between any of the 200 and the true C. pulcher.

My question would be, who, other than the export company came up with "Variant 3?" It's a great way to sell inexpensive fish as something that would be more desirable, but as far as I can tell at this juncture, has no basis in reality.

Cheers. - Frank
I used to be schizophrenic, but we're OK now. At least that's what my dog is always telling me!

Hear podcasts of "Sounds Fishy to Me," here:
http://www.aquaradio.net
Hmoobthor

Post by Hmoobthor »

Coryologist wrote:Having recently imported 200 of these, I can tell you that in my box, there are at least three different species and possibly four. It's not simply a matter of great variability as there are marked differences between the specimens. I would not hazard a guess on any of them, until they have fully acclimated and colored-up. That being said, I doubt that on initial observation that I would call any of them C. pulcher, regardless of the "variant."

Additionally, I imported a box of C. pulcher at the same time. There is no comparison between any of the 200 and the true C. pulcher.

My question would be, who, other than the export company came up with "Variant 3?" It's a great way to sell inexpensive fish as something that would be more desirable, but as far as I can tell at this juncture, has no basis in reality.

Cheers. - Frank
True about the exporter selling inexpensive fish as to make you wanna buy them. This were wild caught.

I read Ian Fuller breeding on this guy...he stated that most of the picture on the net are displaying the wrong cory.

Here a quote from his site about the true c. pulcher:

"There may be no other Corydoras that is so often misidentified than Corydoras pulcher. About half of the pictures on the Internet show the wrong fish. Misidentifications occur with some of the several forms of C. schwartzi (which is living in the same area, the Rio Purus), but also with C 141 and others. For correct pictures refer to (Fuller & Evers 2005). C. pulcher is a big (7-8 cm) Cory with an elongated white first dorsal spine, a long snout and a longitudinal body pattern"

I guess time will tell alone the way once they grown a bit to my tank.

Return to “What is my catfish?”