White Spots on Synodontis Eupterus

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
CanadianGuy
Location 1: Canada

White Spots on Synodontis Eupterus

Post by CanadianGuy »

Does anyone know what these spots are on my Synodontis Eupterus???....they are on both sides and a few on the face...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

James
http://www.ftas.net/yabbse/index.php?bo ... readid=349
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

The spots are just openings of the laterosensory canal system in your Synodontis. They are present in all fishes and you will notice that they are arranged very regularly, especially on the body (which makes it different from ich).
Nothing to worry about.
CanadianGuy

Post by CanadianGuy »

Silurus,

Did you look at the second pic?...it's the one closest to the bottom of the page....NOT the first pic, that's a healthy cat...

Just want to make sure....I've seen those spots on other fish but never like the ones in my pic....

James
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

Hmm, yes. It looks like you syno has some kind of (probably bacterial) infection. I would quarantine it immediately and treat it with an antibacterial medication.
The position of the spots seem to indicate that the laterosensory canal system is affected.
CanadianGuy

Post by CanadianGuy »

Thanks, Silurus

any ideas on what to treat with??
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

Actually, after looking at your fish more carefully, it looks like it's suffering from some kind of lateral line erosion, which is unusual, since this is a disease not usually reported in catfishes.
Unfortunately, it's a chronic condition which may not be treatable. This will provide more info and may help.
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

I haven't seen your photo, as I'm reluctant to sign up with yet one more site just for the sake of viewing a phish photo.

However, we have had a large S. eupterus for many years that began to show large white blotches up to 5 mm wide along its lateral line. The initial cause of this lateral line disease was a pH crash brought about by experimenting with DIY CO2. After some years in appropriate water conditions, the appearance of the lateral line returned t normal. However, now even a brief excursion into low pH (below about 6.2) leads to a mild relapse.

I don't know if your Syno's lateral line syndrome has the same causes as mine, but it's possible. If so, good husbandry is the Rx.

Dinyar
CanadianGuy

Post by CanadianGuy »

Thanks, Dinyar

I checked the PH and it is down to 6...I don't know why it dropped so low...my PH hasn't gone below 7.6 on any of my other tanks...including one that I dose with CO2 occasionally!...

So the problem must be the PH....is there any danger to my other fish?...I'll try to get the PH back up and hopefully that will fix the problem!

Thanks again

James
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

It will fix the problem, but in a couple of years, assuming stable pH > 6.2-6.4.

Dinyar
STINGRAY
Location 1: WEST MIDS
Interests: CATFISH AND RAYS

Post by STINGRAY »

Raise the Ph slowly. To quickly and you will kill the fish.

Return to “African Catfishes”