a few videos of my RTCs coming up for dinner

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
headbanger_jib
My cats species list: 8 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 1: India
Location 2: India, karnataka
Interests: Fishkeeping, Music, Basketball, Photography

a few videos of my RTCs coming up for dinner

Post by headbanger_jib »

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_s0OtRZzFew&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_s0OtRZzFew&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]
do not miss 4:05 - 4:15 ;)
The Indian Kitty Keeper
headbanger_jib

Re: a few videos of my RTCs coming up for dinner

Post by headbanger_jib »

oops posted in the wrong sub forum, can one of the mods, please help me here to move this thread to the correct subforum

[Mod comment: Done! --Mats]
The Indian Kitty Keeper
nvcichlids
My images: 6
My cats species list: 44 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 11 (i:8)
My BLogs: 6 (i:4, p:279)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: Milwaukee, WI
Location 2: Waimate, New Zealand

Post by nvcichlids »

how big is that pond? (what are the dimensions as well)

cool video and cats
What's your favorite Dressing~~
corybrummie2010
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Birmingham UK

Post by corybrummie2010 »

Great video :thumbsup:
headbanger_jib

Post by headbanger_jib »

[Mod comment: Done! --Mats]
thank you Mats
nvcichlids wrote:how big is that pond? (what are the dimensions as well)
cool video and cats
the pond is a little over 1000 gallons i believe
the dimensions are
its an irregular circle
the shortest diameter being 9.5', the depth is 4'+

thank you
corybrummie2010 wrote:Great video :thumbsup:
thank you
The Indian Kitty Keeper
Barbapappa
Location 2: NL

Post by Barbapappa »

Very cool video!
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Nice!!

Are these frozen and thawed shrimp? Shell-on? Is this a daily/weekly routine?

A few glimpses of the overall pond view and setup plus some details (biofilter? pump? aerators?), etc. would be very exciting for me to see.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
headbanger_jib

Post by headbanger_jib »

Viktor Jarikov wrote:Nice!!

Are these frozen and thawed shrimp? Shell-on? Is this a daily/weekly routine?

A few glimpses of the overall pond view and setup plus some details (biofilter? pump? aerators?), etc. would be very exciting for me to see.
thank you Viktor

those are frozen prawns, which are thawed before feeding
the prawns are always deshelled, as i pick up in bulk quantities.

hand feeding prawns is a weekly routine, but i have lots of tilapia and puntius conchonius dunped in the pond every week, nearly 180 - 200

the pond doesn't have filtration, so no sump or aerators or pump, which runs constantly

but we have design in which 30-40% of the water is drained every day and used for the garden and new water is added to the pond, directly from the source, i don't bother with any anti chlorine or such stuff, cause the amount of water is present is massive and the fish have been in the pond for more than 2 years nowand they have been growing like mad without any issues, none till date :mrgreen:

Barbapappa wrote:Very cool video!
thank you
The Indian Kitty Keeper
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

are tilapia and puntius conchonius (Rosy barb) live? 180-200 sounds like a lot to me - are they really small? is there other fish in the pond?

Is the pond set up as a natural one, with lots of plants (large area to house bacteria) and gravel (same) bottom? I am curious how it is that the water quality remains good without a sump. Moreover, when you add 300-400 gal of chlorinated water to the remaining 700-600 gal, that still can be a lot of chlorine, which can kill a significant portion of your beneficial bacteria, resulting in poor water - high NH3, NO2, etc.

So there must exist some mitigating factors that keep in check or overcome these potential problems.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

headbanger_jib wrote:cause the amount of water is present is massive
such is the amount of the water being added too - it is only 1.5 (600/400) to 2.3 (700/300) times less than the water remaining.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
headbanger_jib

Post by headbanger_jib »

Viktor Jarikov wrote:are tilapia and puntius conchonius (Rosy barb) live? 180-200 sounds like a lot to me - are they really small? is there other fish in the pond?
yes they are alive
the tilapia, largest we get is 4", but not more than 40-50 of them, where as the puntius we get largest shall be 2"+
although it sounds a lot, for the pond its not much

the pond holds
2 RTCs
1 TSN
1 Chitala Chitala and a
dozen or so common(albinos, chocolate) plecos

Viktor Jarikov wrote:Is the pond set up as a natural one, with lots of plants (large area to house bacteria) and gravel (same) bottom? I am curious how it is that the water quality remains good without a sump. Moreover, when you add 300-400 gal of chlorinated water to the remaining 700-600 gal, that still can be a lot of chlorine, which can kill a significant portion of your beneficial bacteria, resulting in poor water - high NH3, NO2, etc.

So there must exist some mitigating factors that keep in check or overcome these potential problems.
there is no gravel, no plants whatsoever

although a lot of new water is added everyday, here the water isn't highly chlorinated as it must be in other countries.
i run more than 20 tanks(ranging from 220 gals to 50 gals) and 2 ponds(both more than 1000 gal capacity, i have been keeping these tanks for years, a few of the tanks are almost a decade old or so, in all these tanks i do weekly water changes, but only the ponds get water from direct water supply where as the tanks get water after some amount of aging of water.

Till date i have never had any chlorine issue.

and about the pond water quality, prior to the kittys, i have kept clown loaches and show kois in that pond, and they thrived all the while.

My RTCs are more than 30" in size and are almost 3.5 years old, so i think that says that things are going right
my shovel nose is more than 36" in size and is almost 6-7" wide in the head and a little older than the RTCs
The Indian Kitty Keeper
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Nice, thanks for the thorough, excellent replies! I think I am learning new important things from you. With (1) my present knowledge and experience (neither of which are much at all) and (2) the info you conveyed, I'd never expect such pond water to be good (in anybody's hands).

Does anybody out there have different, grounded opinions?

Thus, the next natural question is: what is the pond made of? Rubber, plastic (vinyl? polypropylene?), concrete, or mud/clay? I am trying to get at where the "tons" of needed bacteria live?!

I'm totally jealous of your RTC's and the TSN (in a healthy way)!! My largest RTC is ~1.7 feet and my largest TSN (actually Pseudoplatystoma recticulatum) is 2 feet. Is yours a real P. tigrinum? There are many similar looking ones, as you well know, of course. My true tigrinum is only 10".

Lots of success to you!
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
headbanger_jib

Post by headbanger_jib »

Viktor Jarikov wrote:Nice, thanks for the thorough, excellent replies! I think I am learning new important things from you. With (1) my present knowledge and experience (neither of which are much at all) and (2) the info you conveyed, I'd never expect such pond water to be good (in anybody's hands).
thank you
Viktor Jarikov wrote:Thus, the next natural question is: what is the pond made of? Rubber, plastic (vinyl? polypropylene?), concrete, or mud/clay? I am trying to get at where the "tons" of needed bacteria live?!
the pond is constructed out of a natural rock we find, which is kinda rough, but no jagged or sharp edges.
rocks for a bedding and have used water proof cement.

The rock is a kind of bed rock, which is usually used to provide steps in the gardens or used in filling or reinforcing foundations of buildings.
Viktor Jarikov wrote:I'm totally jealous of your RTC's and the TSN (in a healthy way)!! My largest RTC is ~1.7 feet and my largest TSN (actually Pseudoplatystoma recticulatum) is 2 feet. Is yours a real P. tigrinum? There are many similar looking ones, as you well know, of course. My true tigrinum is only 10".

Lots of success to you!
Do Post some pics of ur fish too
Yeah the TSN is a sure tigrinum, but i love to get one fasciatum, they have neat patterns on their heads
The Indian Kitty Keeper
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”