Unfertile cory eggs.

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
AngusB
Location 2: darlington

Unfertile cory eggs.

Post by AngusB »

Hi all. My panda corys keep smawning but out of 4 spawnings i've only had 1 fertile egg. What is wrong?
L number Banana
I've donated: $5.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Kingston, ON, Canada

Re: Unfertile cory eggs.

Post by L number Banana »

Hi,
I'm very new at cory breeding so I'm not the right one to help but keep checking back, some of the experts will probably pipe up when they can. Is there a chance that the eggs are getting wiped out by fungus first? Some people put small snails into the egg tank to keep the eggs clean. Just a thought. I'll wait and see what the experienced cory people say.

In the meantime have you read the info posted above on hatching etc? It helped me and now I have lots of tiny little squirts wiggling around in my floating tank. There's also some good info on the article pages about breeding different kinds of corys.
Racing, shoes and fish. Nothing else matters. Oh, and bacon.
kim m
My cats species list: 49 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Denmark
Interests: Pike and Carpfishing, Aquariums (mainly corys)

Post by kim m »

A group of Cory can spawn several times before they "get it right"...I had a group of C. davidsandsi that spawned over 15 times before I had a single egg hatch. Patience :)

Another thing could be the water. If the water is not clean, that could be the cause as well.
Best regards,
Kim M
-----------
Catfish Study Group
Guardians of Catfish
Skive Akvarieforening
cartouche
Location 1: Middle Europe

Post by cartouche »

It's difficult to say, because the reasons can be many. Eggs from the first spawnings are usually infertile, because they are overriped. If the fish continue in spawnings and eggs are still infertile, then the fish are very probably defective. I had to get rid of two breeding groups of sterbai and trilineatus, because their eggs were almost always very badly fertilized over a period of 2 years.
AngusB
Location 2: darlington

Post by AngusB »

Thancks for the help people

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”