New catfish (banjo,porthole/hoplo)

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
Zack
Location 1: Kodiak Alaska
Interests: fish,outdoors,powersports=mx,pre running,etc etc

New catfish (banjo,porthole/hoplo)

Post by Zack »

Hi Guys/Gals,

Just baught three Porthole/hoplo (theres a post in the id forum) and two common banjo cats. They are in a tank with four pictus,three clown plecos,one striped raphael,one chocolate raphael,one rusty pleco and a african butterfly fish, will they be able to compete for food??What kind of foods will give them the best oppurtunitie to get there share??Thanks.
55 gallon
11 pygmy cories
8 neon tetras
1 banjo
4 black neons
4 otos
Kostas
I've donated: $256.00!
My images: 19
My cats species list: 14 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Greece,Athens
Location 2: Greece,Athens
Interests: Fishkeeping,diving,skiing,r/c modeling,growing Palm trees,ferns and tropical plants

Post by Kostas »

Hi,
I think that your banjos may not be able to compete for food with the raphaels and the pictus because the raphaels and the pictus are pretty fast at finding AND eating the food.I think that bloodworms spreaded in the tank will give to all of them an opportunity to feed well
Zack
Location 1: Kodiak Alaska
Interests: fish,outdoors,powersports=mx,pre running,etc etc

Post by Zack »

Thanks kostas,i tried bloodworms last night thinking the same thing you said and a few landed right in front of one of the banjos and he sucked it in. The hoplos are pigs and im deffinately not worried about them getting there fair share as im sure they'll get it and half of the other fishes share.
55 gallon
11 pygmy cories
8 neon tetras
1 banjo
4 black neons
4 otos
Chrysichthys
My images: 1
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Oxford U.K.
Interests: catfish!

Post by Chrysichthys »

Hoplos are greedy feeders and can be taught to feed from your hand. Bits of prawn or shrimp are good for this. Another endearing habit of theirs is to gulp air and fart it out the back end.
STOP AND SEARCH TO BE REPLACED WITH GOOD, OLD-FASHIONED VIOLENCE
(Daily Mash headline)

Return to “Speak Easy”