Stained water

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Zack
Location 1: Kodiak Alaska
Interests: fish,outdoors,powersports=mx,pre running,etc etc

Stained water

Post by Zack »

Hi, i baught a piece of bogwood the other day and rinsed it and cleaned it and all that good stuff :D And i let it sit in a cooler full of water for a day or so because i noticed it was turning the water brown, I thaught it was done leaking out the brown stuff (tannin??) so i put it in the tank, now the water is stained, i actualy dont mind it as it looks natural and the cats are coming out alot more, but i was wondering if it effects the ph or anything of the water qualities?? All fish seem to be doing fine though.
55 gallon
11 pygmy cories
8 neon tetras
1 banjo
4 black neons
4 otos
jscoggs27
I've donated: $130.00!
My images: 4
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: UK
Location 2: Stevenage, Herts, UK

Post by jscoggs27 »

there is a string on this somewhere. but to repeat what it says.
The staining is natural, will probably lower the pH slightly depending on the hardness of your water, but i think makes the tank look a lot better. Fish colors come out much more in this type of water.
jason
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 889
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 422
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Actually, a little tannin is good for the fish (tends to bring out their color, especially blackwater fishes). Doesn't affect the pH much in itself, but the wood may be leaching out humic (and other organic) acids, which will lower the pH. Not too bad for most fish either (unless you have Rift Lake c*****ds).
I'd say leave the wood alone.
Zack
Location 1: Kodiak Alaska
Interests: fish,outdoors,powersports=mx,pre running,etc etc

Post by Zack »

Alright, Thanks guys, The fish seem to love it so im glad i can keep it.
55 gallon
11 pygmy cories
8 neon tetras
1 banjo
4 black neons
4 otos

Return to “Tank Talk”