Sump trickle filters

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
batho
Location 1: Stoke-on-Trent, England
Interests: Catfish

Sump trickle filters

Post by batho »

Help,

I am looking to setup a large tank (approx. 400L).
I would like to use a standard sump trickle filter in a tank below the main tank.
Are there any websites to show how to do this?

Questions:-

What volume should the sump be? Ratio with main tank?
Can i construct my own sump from a small tank?
I was thinking of using plastic media with ceramic pieces. Is this OK? How often would i have to change the media?
I was thinking of having a overflow pipe running through a hole in the bottom of the tank. OK?
How noisey are these filters?
I am looking at 5x turnover from the pump (2000L per hour).

I know i have loads of questions but i am finding it difficult to find any info. on these setups.

Would i be better going for an external canister filter?

Hope you can help.

Steve
Adam
Location 1: Carnarvon, Western Australia

Post by Adam »

I prefer to make my own sumps and filters. They can be noisy... but I don't mind the sound of running water, mind you guests seem to go to the bathroom a lot. I have seen some niffty ways of beating the noise factor though from some marine sites. Try this link http://saltaquarium.about.com/gi/dynami ... _frame.htm

The media you use just needs to have a high surface area to volume ratio. In most home aquria crushed rock/coral is ok. I prefer inert material that doesn't affect my water chemistry. I use both bioballs and shavings from PVC pipe. I have a friend who machines a lot of pipe fittings and makes bore casings. I use the spirals from this in my biofilters as well. So your plastic and ceramics will do well. I tend to make a partion were the water enters to seperate the bio media from the pump.

I use a ratio of of around 10- 25% of the tank size for the sump. For example I have a 360l tank with a 75l sump. Remember that the sump needs to be able to hold a reservoir for the pump to work, allow for evaporation, and have room to accomodate the standing water when the power is turned off. I find the plastic tubs that you buy for stoarge to fit the bill well. There cheap and they don't chip. they come with a lid and are easy to modify.

I find that the sluff from the biofilter moves into the resevoir were the pump is and all I have to do is siphon this out and washt the sponge that I have under the water entering the sump on top of the biomedia.

I would always use this sort of system if you can. You get to hid the heater etc in the sump.

Have fun building one.

Adam
batho

Post by batho »

Adam,

Could you explain what you mean by standing water when the power is turned off.

Thanks for the info.

Steve
Adam

Post by Adam »

The return to the sump relies on gravity. When the pump input into the tank = the gravity return there will be water in the tank higher than the stand pipe. This is what I called the standing water. Because when the power goes out or the pump is turned off this water above the stand pipe will drain to your sump.

Adam
batho

Post by batho »

Adam,

Does the filter media need to be above the reservoir of water in the sump or can the ceramic peices actually be in the water.

I am now thinking of a 36" x 15" x 15" tank as a sump. Partition on third with acrylic/plastic.

What would be the best method to ensure that the water from the tank is spreadevenly across the filter media and no just down the centre. I was maybe thinking a tray with holes in?

Steve
Adam

Post by Adam »

Steve,

In terms of biofilters, trickle filters (media out of water) are more efficient than submerged filters (media in the water). In practical terms this has great benefits when tanks have enormous bio loads. For the home aquaria the benefits aren't as great. The savings in space and money can be measured in dollars, maybe tens of dollars. For large systems though >30, 000l the benefits can reach into the hundreds or thousands of dollars.

I think you have the right idea with spreading the water. If you put a bit of sponge on top of this plate you will also achieve some form of mechanical filtration + trickle filter. The biggest benefits in terms of reducing bio loads is the removal of solids (faeces and food) so be sure to wash the sponge regularly.

Make the gap for water to move between the biofilter and the sump at the bottom. This will ensure that you have water movement around your biomedia.

Hope this helps.

Adam

Return to “Tank Talk”