S. eupterus compatible with multis?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
drpleco
My images: 2
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Wausau, WI

S. eupterus compatible with multis?

Post by drpleco »

I have a nice s. eupterus that I've grown attached to. But....I had the opportunity to buy an adult group of multis and couldn't resist. Are these two species compatible? They'd all be in a 90g tank (48" x 18") with 120 pounds of lace rock, so plenty of hiding spaces. The rest of the fish are asst. mbuna breeding groups. Thanks!!

Andy
Lornek8
I've donated: $10.00!
My cats species list: 52 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Kaneohe, HI

Post by Lornek8 »

S. eupterus is a riverine Syno that is actually from acidic to slightly basic pH water. S. multipunctatis is from basic pH water. So actually, if one doesn't belong its the eupterus. However, they are both quite adaptable and if the eupterus is currently living with the Mbuna it should be okay if they're kept together.
drpleco

Post by drpleco »

Thanks a lot! That's what I was hoping to hear. The eupterus has become quite a great fish and I love watching him swim slowly over the rocks while hunting for mbuna fry. He's a tough fish that has no trouble fending for himself with the mbuna.
toddnbecka
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Cumberland, MD
Interests: Synodontis

Post by toddnbecka »

I remember a past post somewhere reporting that a group of multi's had eaten a eupterus, stripped it right to the bone. No idea whether that was typical behavior or not, but I'd keep an eye on the eupterus.
drpleco

Post by drpleco »

yikes! i haven't put them together yet, but the multis are so far getting along with eachother and a couple plecos (L52 and a bristlenose).

I'll definitely keep a close eye on things! thanks a lot!

Return to “African Catfishes”