L134 Sexing & Breeding

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Daniel L
Location 1: Canada

L134 Sexing & Breeding

Post by Daniel L »

I was wandering how to breed L134 - Peckoltia sp.Tiger? First step I guess would be to difference sexes. Any hints and ideas?
kgroenhoej
Location 1: Denmark

Post by kgroenhoej »

Hi,

the males is "hairy" on the rear-body.
There's an example of a "hairy" Peckoltia male in Ingo Seidels great article here @PC.

btw: we're all waiting for the article Jools mentioned in:
http://www.forum.planetcatfish.com/view ... light=l134

-Klaus
S. Allen
Location 1: Colorado Springs, USA
Interests: Fish: catfish, discus, stingrays. Alcohol: Vodka, Gin, Rum, Beer, Cider. Tobacco: cigars, pipe, hookah/shisha. Dogs, Literature, Music

Post by S. Allen »

I'd really just suggest getting a decent sized group, maybe 8 fish in a 30 gallon or something along those lines, provide good peckoltia breeding conditions and give them a few months.

and, as to sexing, I'd say size might matter too, a larger fish, in plecos at least tends to be a male.
Anders
Location 1: Linkoping, Sweden
Interests: Loricariidae

Sexing and breeding L134

Post by Anders »

Hi,

sexing the L134 is quite easy even prior to the development of
the fine hair on the rear part of the body and odontodal growth
on the forward fin rays of the males.
If you look at the fish from above the widest part of the females are
just behind the head and they have a smaller head than the males.
The males widest part of the body is the head when looked at from above.

As I've heard, these should be quite easy to breed, but if you have
several males they tend to robb the eggs from eachother and eat them.
The best constillation is 1 male and 3 or more females.
To spawn, they require quite modest conditions. Good water quality, food
and some pipes to hide in and protect. The pipes should be plugged in one
end and open in the other with a diameter of about 1,5 inch.
I also recommend to get a small group if you want to breed them. They are not
very agressive toward eachother but to be sure you get both sexes, if you buy
smaller ones, will increase with a larger number of fishes.
Good luck!
/ Anders
Daniel L
Location 1: Canada

Peckoltia L134

Post by Daniel L »

Could one of you, successful breeders, post what are good peckoltia breeding conditions - if available? (pH, hardness, lighting cycle, typical breeding place)
I had certain success using a 1" drilled hole in a 2"X4" wood piece for Ancistrus dolichopterus. I was wandering if that could work for them?
Janne
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 243
Spotted: 73
Location 2: Belém, Brazil

Post by Janne »

Sexing the L134 is easy when they are mature, along their back between the dorsal fin and coudal peduncle the males get small odontodes and the females dont have them, the fin rays looks the same in both males and females but the females are much more plumper and looks more fat. I can not agree with that females head are smaller becouse my females are bigger then the males.
They prefer stone caves before plastic pipes and wood and the entrance should be around 1 x 1,5 inch and the deep around 6 inches and place the cave so the males not will be desturb of the surroundings near the current from a powerhead that not should hit the entrance just flow very near. The pH is not so important but they prefer between 6,5-7, hardness is more important when you shall try to breed them.
It's easier to get them started if you lower the hardness day by day for a week and once they have start breeding you can keep the water in that values you reach between 120-150 uS and next time they breed easier. If you keep more females they will breed very soon in other way it takes around two month for the female to be ready for the next one.
The article will soon be up in PC, I have just add some new info to it.

Good luck...
Janne

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”