A normal Pleco diet?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
lildunn34
Location 1: woodbridge, virginia
Interests: fish and b-ball

A normal Pleco diet?

Post by lildunn34 »

i wanted to know if i can give my baby pleco(STIX) fruits like apples, grapes, or any other vetgetable like carrots other than cucumber. Tell me all you know, :shock: . SIKE but try to help me out
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

In principle, yes. Try putting in a very li'l piece and see if it will eat it. Take out whatever's left within 24 hours, or it'll spoil, mess up the water and possibly kill your fish.

D
lildunn34
Location 1: woodbridge, virginia
Interests: fish and b-ball

Post by lildunn34 »

Thanks ill do, ill put some apple in there now then if theres any left ill take it out in the mornig. One more thing if the apple stays in there to long can it mess up amonia or something?
Ron
Location 1: Howell/Ann Arbor MI, USA

Post by Ron »

Yes, because the apple will start to decay.
Ben
Location 1: PEI, Canada
Interests: Fish, Computers, Comic Books, Nature

Post by Ben »

lildunn34, anything that is rotting or decomposing in the tank will increase the nitrate level. Same thing goes for live plants, If you have plants in a tank that are dying, rather than let them die off slowly, take them out so not to increase the nitrates in the tank. I don't think it will increase the amonia, as far as I know, just the nitrates, but that's not something to let slide.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”