zebras fighting

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
ronsterrc
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: My house, Newcastle
Interests: Catfish!

zebras fighting

Post by ronsterrc »

Hi

I have a pair of zebras fighting, quite vigorously. Is this normal behaviour? I have two males and two females. I believe the two males are fighting and have been at it for 5 mins and counting.......!!!

Ronnie
Caol_ila
My images: 53
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Post by Caol_ila »

Hi!

Whats the size of your tank? How long have they been in there? Is it feeding time?
cheers
Christian
ronsterrc
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: My house, Newcastle
Interests: Catfish!

Post by ronsterrc »

It's 36 long, been in there 1.5 years, been fed two hours ago
polkadot
Location 2: Singapore

Post by polkadot »

They will get pretty aggressive during feeding. Since its after feeding, maybe they're fighting who gets the female?? :lol: :lol:
markyboy22
Location 1: edinburgh

Post by markyboy22 »

I've seen this very often with mine, and theyre in a large tank. This behaviour is not specific to the males either, last week two of my females battled for about twenty minutes for this little spot under the bogwood. I also think it is more common in juveniles (sizing each other up) my larger males don't seem to battle any where near as much, usually it just a quick clash and one sprints off. The one good thing is that it never gets too serious and none have been injured.
Ben
Location 1: PEI, Canada
Interests: Fish, Computers, Comic Books, Nature

Post by Ben »

I had a simiar experience with some of mine (not zebras). when they came into maturity, they battled for a bit to establish the pecking order. They are fine now that thre is the one dominant male, one submissive male, and the one female.
ClayT101
Location 1: Baton Rouge, LA
Location 2: USA
Interests: Plecos, Pro Wrestling, Football (Pro & College)

Post by ClayT101 »

How many hiding spots do you have? Ideally, you want want a hiding spot for each male, nothing for the females. This way the females will want to get in with the males. Of course, if your females are larger than the males, they will probably be the dominate ones
It's True! It's True!

Southeast Louisiana Aquarium Society: http://www.selas.us

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”