Population history of Pimelodidae

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Population history of Pimelodidae

Post by Silurus »

Coronel, JS, GE Maes, S Claus, PA Van Damme and FAM Volckaert, 2004. Differential population history in the migratory catfishes Brachyplatystoma flavicans and Pseudoplatystoma fasciatum (Pimelodidae) from the Bolivian Amazon assessed with nuclear and mitochondrial DNA markers. Journal of Fish Biology, 65: 859-868.

Abstract

The catfishes Brachyplatystoma flavicans (n = 49) and Pseudoplatystoma fasciatum (n = 69) showed comparable low allozyme diversities (He = 0·012 and 0·009-0·028, respectively), but contrasting PCRRFLP restriction site mitochondrial DNA diversities (three haplotypes: ? = 0·034-0·092 and five haplotypes: ? = 0·001-0·023, respectively) in the Rio Ichilo and Beni (Bolivia). Genetic homogeneity between samples was high for B. flavicans and lower for P. fasciatum. Based on mitochondrial diversity, both species probably experienced a historic population reduction but at different time scales.
pturley
I've donated: $66.00!
My articles: 2
My images: 16
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post by pturley »

I read the title of the posting and sat hoping while my puny dialup spooled the post: PDF please, PDF please!!!!
This may sound terribly bold but, now that I have read the abstract, couldn't the results of this study almost be assumed? (I know, I know, nothing can be assumed in research!)

You wouldn't expect much variance in B. flavicans would you? These fish are noted in The Catfish Connection as having the longest freshwater migration of any fish.
And it would be expected to be much greater in P. fasciatum given the fact that the fish is typically found in smaller bodies of water, more dispursed into floodplains and cochas. A much more insular biotope than B. flavicans.

It would be much more interesting to compare the genetic variation between two STRONGLY migratory species, rather than a strongly migratory one (B. flavicans) and one much lesser so (P. fasciatum). Perhaps comparative data on say B. juruense or B. filimentosum?

Guess I need to read the paper. I have to imagine I am missing something in the significance of all this. So back to the original comments: PDF please, PDF please???

HH,
Does the Journal of Fish Biology publish digitally? If not, it'd be worth it to me to track down a hardcopy.
Last edited by pturley on 27 Aug 2004, 18:07, edited 1 time in total.
Sincerely,
Paul E. Turley
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

Paul, JFB does publish digitally. I can send you a pdf if you can't track one down.
pturley
I've donated: $66.00!
My articles: 2
My images: 16
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post by pturley »

I'll check the JFB site immediately.

Sincere Thanks.
Sincerely,
Paul E. Turley
certan
My cats species list: 10 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Istanbul
Location 2: Turkey

Post by certan »

I couldn't find the JFB site through the search engines. May i have its address, please?
Cem Ertan
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

certan