Salt Tolerance re:Ancistrus - Ich Treatment?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Tankster
Location 1: New England. USA

Salt Tolerance re:Ancistrus - Ich Treatment?

Post by Tankster »

Does anyone know whether Ancistrus will tolerate a 2gr per litre dose of salt as part of an ich treatment. I have been treating this tank with Aquarisol and increased temperature for the last 4 days. I have been reading that the chelated copper in Aquarisol may not have been the best choice.
I plan to do a fairly good sized water change (~30%) to get rid of the copper and swith to a malachite green based med with salt.
Should I go a different route or what? As it stands now, the fish have no more cysts on them but are listless at the bottom of the tank except for feeding times and a bit faded in color. BTW, the Ancistrus has never shown any signs of ich and I don't want to lose him to the meds or the salt. Any other suggestions are apreciated.
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

If you aren't seeing any more spots on the fish, you should do a 30% water change daily for the next 4 or 5 days, carefully vacuuming the substrate. This will do two things, it wil reduce the amount of copper in the tank, and it will remove a large percentage of the dormant ich cysts from the tank. Healthy fish have no problem producing the slime coat to keep the ich from being able to attach to them. Stresses leave the fish vulnerable. This will also help stabilize your water parameters and give your fish the optimum conditions for good health.

I treat ich with salt at a dosage of a teaspoon per gallon, with 30% daily water changes, then I redose the full amount of salt for three days. On the third day, the ancistrus I was forced to treat that way, had a distinctly puffy appearance, and I waited 12 hours and did another water change, then continued daily changes for 4 more days. That dosage actually was effective for oodinium, which can be more stubborn to get rid of than ich IME. I realize that isn't the formulation you need either, but I truly believe that if your fish aren't showing spots, you don't need to add more medication to your tank. The fish are managing to combat the ich that's present. Water changes with water that's the same temperature as the tank would be more beneficial.

Hope that helps,

Barbie
Tankster

Post by Tankster »

Barbie, thanks for the reply. That's good information. I agree that because there doesn't seem to be any sign if the ich cycsts that I should try to get rid of the copper at this point. I am concerned that with all the water changes you mentioned that I don't add additional stress by throwing the whole nitrogen cycle out of whack and creating more problems with ammonia and nitrites. How did you aviod that?
Barbie
Expert

Post by Barbie »

Why would you throw the cycle out of balance? You remove some of the ammonia that is feeding the bacteria that digest the waste your fish put off, but in a healthy biobed, that number increases and dies off as the amount of food present in the tank fluctuates. You won't be changing all of the water, just 30%, so you're basically taking 1/3 of the waste out. I've never had any problem with that method. I also don't overfeed, or have any of the big Central or South American messy eaters in the tank to worry about either. Does that answer your question? The bacteria aren't present in the water column, they live on every surface area that oxygenated water passes over. As long as the water parameters that you're replacing your changed water with doesn't differ greatly from the tank water (which it shouldn't in the first place), there should be no problem at all.

Barbie
Tankster

Post by Tankster »

Yes, I suppose if I had thought about it I'd have figured it out :oops: Anyway I thank you for your information. I think I will go that route and forgo any additional medication and gradually add the salt while keeping a close eye on the Ancistrus. It's been so many years since I had to deal with ich that I'd almost forgotten how much of a PITA it can be.
Barbie
Expert

Post by Barbie »

You could probably just dose the salt once, then continue the water changes. The dosage I was talking about was used to actually combat the problem. It sounds like the worst of your battle is over, as long as the fish themselves aren't stressed again. I used to have to fight the "experts" at a fish store I helped in for awhile, to get them to leave the meds out of the clown loach tank. I'd do daily water changes and add salt and POOF, in 3 days it was gone and none died. Funny how that works :)

Barbie
Tankster

Post by Tankster »

Hi Barbie, just as an update, I went with the salt only,the increased temp., and the partial water changes. The fish are back to their normal selves and the Ancistrus seems to be none the worse for wear. I must say I was surprised at the change in the fish once I did the water changes. I guess the copper in the Aqurisol was really kicking the crap out of them. Looks like it was just in time, thanks again for your help. I'll have to file this one away in the old memory bank. No more recommending Aqrarisol as a first choice ich treatment for me. :)

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”