Agressive spotted pictus...need advice!

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
frawgthorn
Location 1: Ohio

Agressive spotted pictus...need advice!

Post by frawgthorn »

I had one spotted pictus in a 55 gallon and took some advice from this board and purchased two more since they are a shoaling fish. My problem is that they are nipping at each other. Is this normal? Will I need to return two of them? Any advice on this type of behavior would be appreciated. :cry:
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

They may be trying to establish a dominance hierarchy. The one you had before may also have gotten used to living alone and may not welcome the newcomers.
One possible way to solve this problem is to rearrange the tank decor. The fish will then think that they are in a "new" tank and the aggressive behavior may go away.
coelacanth
My articles: 1
My images: 2
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 32 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Bolton, UK
Location 2: UK
Interests: All things Aquatic

Post by coelacanth »

I'd say this is normal social behaviour for this species. I would take a guess that the original fish is the one doing most of the chasing. They are sorting out a hierachy, i.e. he/she is basically letting the new fish know who's boss. In a 55 gallon there should be plenty enough room for them to escape the attentions of one another when necessary. Make sure there are sufficent refuges for when they are feeling antisocial.
Are they all about the same size?
If there is a significant size discrepancy one could bear the brunt of it, so it's just something to be aware of.
Just feed them well, watch out for White Spot (or 'Ich' if you are in the US), and watch them getting busy. They are very prone to White Spot, so just keep an eye out for the next couple of weeks.
Pete
frawgthorn

Post by frawgthorn »

OK, I rearranged some stuff in the tank. They are still fighting but not as constant. It is only two of them. the third is staying out of it. They are all the same size and have enough places to hide behind. i hope they figure it out...I hate watching them fight. Any idea how long it will take them to establish who's who and settle down? :cry:
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Any idea how long it will take them to establish who's who and settle down?
Generally, about 2-3 days max.
frawgthorn

Post by frawgthorn »

Thank you for the replies. they are doing better already. Two have chosen favorite spots along the bottom of the tank and the third has been hanging around the middle of the tank. The fighting is less nipping and more circling one another on occasion. :)

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”