hemisoribum platyrhnos

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
nolan
Location 1: west sussex uk

hemisoribum platyrhnos

Post by nolan »

I am try to get hold of a jevenile hemisoribum platyrhynos. if anyone can give ome idea of how they are best kept and a guide price for them i would be greatful.
Sid Guppy
Location 1: Brabant, the Netherlands
Interests: Catfish, Tanganyikan fish, Rock'n'roll, Fantasy

Post by Sid Guppy »

Rare beauty.
my nephew had two; many years ago.
price; no idea, since they never show up in the LFS here anyway (he had them straight from the importer)
They're piscivores like Sorubim lima, and they have about the same character; predatory fish, but very easygoing and almost shy to anything that isn't prey. His ate fishmeat, krill and other bigger freezefoods -like those tiny frozen fishes you can buy for the cat; English name?- without problems.
For a shovelnose; they have two exceptions: they're "small"; maximum size some 30 cm, maybe 35 I never saw any bigger than 27 cm. And their mouth wich is unusual, as the lower jaw is longer than the upper jaw.
They can be kept in a small group (in his case two) if your tank is big enough (his was 2 meters). They're gentle. They make a great combination with some Doradids, Sorubims, silverdollars etc. Very voracious eaters should be avoided (Synodontis for example) because your Hemisorubim might get too thin; they're slow movers, unless they spot live fish in the twilight, in wich case they can get lightning quick.
Fish that are smaller than 1/4 th of their own length, and slim built, should be avoided; but highbuilt fish are safe (hence Silverdollars, but Hemiodus is toast)
Plan B should not automatically be twice as much explosives as Plan A
TiGrInUs
Location 1: USA

Post by TiGrInUs »

Ive seena pic of this cat at about 2ft..they grow really slow though. Also the pic of this one was in the wild. My lfs has one which i dont think they even know they have it since they moved it from the old store and still dont have it labled. They have had it for about 2 years and is up to 8" from the previous 4". I think it was going for around $30-50 USD

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”