what is the most predatory catfish in african waters?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
david
Location 1: dundee scotland
Interests: football,water polo

what is the most predatory catfish in african waters?

Post by david »

Hi guys i just want to know just in case i ever see one on sale i know to avoid it thanks.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

I would say it's a tossup between the vundu (<i>Heterobranchus</i>) and <i>Bagrus</i>.
Kept a <i>B. docmac</i> once, but it did not get big enough to the point where it started becoming a terror (actually, I've found them to be more mild-mannered than <i>Hemibagrus</i>, which are demonic).
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

Malapteruridae are born killers too. Not a lot of fish that can face off against a meter long e-cat and live to tell the tale.

Dinyar
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Electric cats are predatory, but I think the danger of having tankamets die from the constant shocking is more likely than having the electric cat eat them.
The first two electric cats I had were mostly fed live food (fish & frogs), and they got very good at catching their prey without resorting to stunning them (except every once in a while). However, the one I now have is mostly fed pellets, and it's extremely clumsy at catching live food when offered it.
They also have rather small mouths, which does limit the size of the prey they can swallow.

Return to “African Catfishes”