Question about L.pictus( sail fin pim)

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
GTS

Question about L.pictus( sail fin pim)

Post by GTS »

Hello.

I have a question about L.pictus . I have heard that even though this is large and predatory pim that they are not that predatory in the home aquarium. People on other boards have told me that a 9" L.pictus can safely be housed with a 4" fish with no problems. They also said that even large ones ( over 16") are only a threat to smaller feeder fish. Is this true?
I really have my doubts about this. This fish is a very close relative of L.longbarbis(maramotas) which I know is very predatory in the home aquarium. So doesent that mean that L.pictus is a predator in the home aquarium too?
GTS

Post by GTS »

:(

Any ideas?
corybreed
Expert
I've donated: $54.00!
My catfish: 8
My cats species list: 74 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Long Island, New York, USA
Location 2: Long Island

Post by corybreed »

The Marble Sailfin cat, L. pictus gets to large for most home aquariums. A weak moment 12 years ago caused me to purchase a 4 inch speciman. My family loved the fish and named him Scuttles. Unfortunately at 2.5 feet he out grew his home. Luckily for me Dr. loiselle at the New York Aquarium put Scuttles in an exhibit. I did not feed live feeders, Scuttles was happy with Doromin and other dry foods. I believe unless you are committed don't buy a L. pictus. Like any predatory catfish they will eat what they can swallow.

Mark
GTS

Post by GTS »

Thanks for the reply.

Other people have told me that L.pictus are not prone to eating fish that can fit in their mouth. I found that to be very strange. Thanks for confirming my suspicions.!
brianfl
Location 1: South Florida

Post by brianfl »

Ditto. Have two in my outside pond and they definitely are predatory. I doubt anything would be different in an inside aquarium.
Brian
GTS

Post by GTS »

Thanks for the reply.

So I wouldnt be able to keep a 4" fish with a 9" L.pictus right?
brianfl
Location 1: South Florida

Post by brianfl »

Probably not for long. The Pims usually eat in quantity not so much regularly so even if fed well, it would probably eat the fish sometime when extremely hungry.
Brian

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”