opinions on most active "smaller" pl*co!?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
noki
Location 1: United States of the Bush Empire

opinions on most active "smaller" pl*co!?

Post by noki »

any opinions on which (relatively available) mid to smaller pl*cos species are fairly active and which species are very shy and sedentary?

would it help if there were 3 or 4 pl*cos of the same species? would 3 be enough to defer intra-species aggression to a reasonable level?

its kinda hard to find 3 or 4 healthy fish at the same time anyway with most species, not even considering the cost.
Cartman
Location 1: MN, USA

Post by Cartman »

I've found it really depends more on what you're keeping them in and with, that seems to impact "day time" activity. Its been my experience that the smaller plecos are more vissible in my planted tanks compared to non planted tanks w/ lights. I say "day time" because I assume that you are talking about actually seeing your pleco out with regular lights on. That being said though I think if you want a more day time active pleco look for ones from breeders as they seem to be far more active w/ tank lights on than there wild relatives, in my experiences. I'd shy away from Hypancistrus and stick more w/ Peckoltia, Ancistrus and Panaqolus if you are looking for wild though. If you'd like a more in depth species breakdown of what I've kept let me know othewise if going wild try L200, L15 or L129 as I've kept all of these at one point or another and have had good experiences with them being viwable during "daylight".

Andy
Sid Guppy
Location 1: Brabant, the Netherlands
Interests: Catfish, Tanganyikan fish, Rock'n'roll, Fantasy

Post by Sid Guppy »

It depends very much on where you live; some countries are flooded with catfish, some aren't; but pleco's are in fashion for years now.

Small day-active pleco's would include: Otocinclus sp; Chaetostoma sp; young Ancistrus sp (most often available is Ancistrus tenminki -or one of its' close relatives- or Common Bristlenose; THE species for starters) and Microlepidogaster (sometimes sold as "otocinclus paulinus") to name a few.
Some are more reclusive, like Peckoltia's; Hypoptopoma's; adult Ancistrus and Panaquolus (Clown- and Tigerpleco's) etc

About the day-night behaviour of Parancistrus, Baryancistrus and Hypancistrus, I'm not so experienced.
As far as I know; they're a bit shy, but in a small group, they should be visible. They're often territorial, though, and not that cheap either. If you've never kept pleco's; don't start with these. Some get bigger; 5-6".
Most famous of these is the Zebrapleco: Hypancistrus zebra. other members of the species I've named are sold as "Gold nugget","Snowball pleco" and other fancy names. They're universally known as "L-numbers" too. Often they're NO algae-eaters, but carnivores/scavengers; search the Cat-E-Log and the Catfish-of-the-Month archives; many are described into detail there.

I think any number is OK as long as it isn't 2 (although a pair of bristlenoses -Ancistrus sp- works fairly well, often); and there's room for every fish and a hiding place for every fish.
Microlepidogaster, Otociclus and Hypoptopoma like to be kept in groups (5 or more). These fish are very peaceful and well suited for the planted tank. They tend to accept plants as hiding places too; most other pleco's prefer bogwood or rocky caves.

Some species look big, but are in fact moderately small, with a long tail: Rhineloricaria lanceolata, Sturisoma "aureum" and Sturisomatichthys leightoni. They are very peaceful, show themselves and can be kept as a pair or trio in any tank as big as or bigger than, say 80 cm or so. They're clumsy movers, so the tank should be a bit 'open'; they like an open space on the sand too; as resting place. Captive bred Sturisoma's are not difficult to keep at all. They DO require peaceful tankmates, though.

Among the species I've named; at least a few should be available!

where do you live?
Plan B should not automatically be twice as much explosives as Plan A
ClayT101
Location 1: Baton Rouge, LA
Location 2: USA
Interests: Plecos, Pro Wrestling, Football (Pro & College)

Post by ClayT101 »

I'm not sure where you are from, noki, but when you are getting more then 1 of a species, it is easy to get them via the iternet. By getting more then one, the shipping charge gets spread over the entire order, so its not like paying an extra $30 just for one fish. If you are in the US, check out http://www.aquabid.com , or ask people around here for other stores. :)
It's True! It's True!

Southeast Louisiana Aquarium Society: http://www.selas.us
S. Allen
Location 1: Colorado Springs, USA
Interests: Fish: catfish, discus, stingrays. Alcohol: Vodka, Gin, Rum, Beer, Cider. Tobacco: cigars, pipe, hookah/shisha. Dogs, Literature, Music

Post by S. Allen »

umm... I find my peckoltias to be quite active, zebras, and my L106... my queen arabesque plecos are terribly shy though.
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 275
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

I go towards Scott Opinion. Hypancistrus spp, Panaqolus spp are rather shy. My most active pl*co are from far over the Pcekoltia as well. Of course regardless of the Hemiloricaria, Rhineloricaria... as these do never hide.
But if you can provide some a took which is really not to lighted, you should be able to see your pl*co rather pretty all the time.
This is the case at home for me, my Loricariidae do not hide much unless something scare them like someone runnig in front of the tank.
Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 946
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 448
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Re: opinions on most active "smaller" pl*co!?

Post by Jools »

noki wrote:any opinions on which (relatively available) mid to smaller pl*cos species are fairly active and which species are very shy and sedentary?
Aside from being polite, including your location in your profile is the only way you are going to get a sensible answer to your question on what plecos are "(relatively available)".

Please do so!

And anyone else that hasn't please do, see the sticky on forum conduct for more information.

Jools
noki
Location 1: United States of the Bush Empire

Post by noki »

just meant by "relatively available" that the fish were imported/sold in the aquarium hobby currently on a regular basis. i'm aware that there are a lot of beauties that demand premium prices, and stores do not always stock. Alot of the small pl*cos seem rather gaunt and unhealthy when they come in (it seems to me), so while i am a fool willing to be parted from my money, i am somewhat wary.

i'm just wondering which species that people have enjoyed their behavior the most, and which species may have ended up with the hobbyist trying to find the catfish with a flashlight just to check and see if they are still alive.

my strategy (if you could call it that) of the past decade or so has been to buy a good looking catfish on impulse, and I've tried to be wise and avoid the larger growers, but i've not been very satisfied, so maybe i could try planning next.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 946
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 448
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Thanks for adding your location ID, that's pretty amusing.

Given you are in the US I would have to say that many of the smaller whiptails (like smaller than 8") are pretty active and good fun. You should also be able to pick them up cheaply at local club auctions.

Jools
Ben
Location 1: PEI, Canada
Interests: Fish, Computers, Comic Books, Nature

Post by Ben »

Though I would agree Panaqolus are rather shy, I find my Panaqolus maccus (clown plecos) to come out and a bout quite a bit with lots of bogwood and shadie areas to feel comfortable in.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”