Heeeelp

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Conny Boon
Location 1: Cowes, Isle of Wight, GB
Interests: tropical fish,

Heeeelp

Post by Conny Boon »

one year ago I bought two tiny ancistrus, one turned out to be female triadiatus and one male punctatus. this morning my tank is swarming with little babys. How can I get them out quick before the other tank inmates have eaten them all. I know I could not sell them but it would be nice if one or two would survive.
Ben
Location 1: PEI, Canada
Interests: Fish, Computers, Comic Books, Nature

Post by Ben »

If they are already free swimming in the tank, best advice I can give, is to provide lots of hiding spots where the other fish can't get at them. I don't like moving babies that are already loose in the tank, I find it to be hard on them. Small PVC tubing, snail shells, things like this work well for them to find good hidie-holes
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 275
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Well!

If your guesses are correct about the ID of the fish and if the fry is not coming form any other possible fish, well you have a crossbreeding and you really should not spread the young, but you sure could keep a few but only for you! Fish like that should not be spread around at all.
You could go searching around to provide an male and a female of the same species to both of your ancistrus!
Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
Cartman
Location 1: MN, USA

Post by Cartman »

I agree w/ Ben, if you truly want to keep them I'd try adding a piece of driftwood with small holes much like African root (Swahala?) preferably an aged piece w/ some algae growth. Normally LFS will sell you pieces out of their tanks so it is possible to buy aged wood if you don't have extra in another tank.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 946
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My aquaria list: 21 (i:13)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 448
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Got my moderator cap on again folks, sorry!

PLEASE can we have more descriptive topics than "Help" or suchlike.

"Help! Bristlenoses have spawned" or similar is much more 8) .

There are other examples of this elsewhere, it's just bad luck I picked this one. No individual offence meant.

Jools

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”